Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 8, 2006, 6:14 PM   #1

Hi all!

Not a long story behind this photo (unusual for me). Last month I was in a village here in Romania and spotted this group of sunflowers, quite "wild" and disorderly, and the various flowers in different stages of maturity. I thought: "there might be a decent photo in there somewhere.." so I took 2 photos of them, I prefer this photo.

But I don't really know if it has any potential to be an interesting photo, or rather just headed for the recycle bin. So your comments would be appreciated. I'm not sure if I should have put the horizon / sky in the photo or not (but it was quite hard to avoid some sky because the main sunflower was quite tall... taller than me!)

Please let me know.... do you like it? Is the DOF good? What about the composition? Anything you would have done differently?

Thanks in advance....

Paul

Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2006, 9:34 PM   #2

Hi paul

i really like this shot. Its a shot you can just keep looking at. I think the dof is one of the major contributing factors to its success. I like how the foreground and b/ground are oof. It really creates depth in the shot.

The main subject is well exposed, and those warm tones work very well. I think the composition is safe, but it works.

Levels are fantatic, nice and deep, which happily compliment the depth created by the use of shallow dof

nice work

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 12:55 AM   #3

I agree with you
Madda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 2:54 AM   #4

Hi Ken and Madda,

Firstly, Ken - thanks for your insightful and indepth comments. I am glad you see some value in this photo and that you could compliment it's depth of field (which was one of the things I was trying to achieve).

I found the colours of these sunflowers was also quite striking as for example I've never seen a sunflower coloured as the one in the foreground (looks a tad of pink even)... and then there are different stages of development (older sunflower heads, new flowers opening, etc).

On some other photos I've made in the past people have said that when I've had sky in the shots it can easily be too bright and distracting from the subject... that's why I wasn't sure with this one but I couldn't get an angle high enough to be "above" the sunflower's level compared to the horizon (without a ladder or table or chair around!)

Madda,thanks also for your thoughts and being such an agreeableperson! I appreciate your compliments too.

Here is a little crop, don't know if it helps to accentuate (highlight) the main flower in focus... or if it loses a bit of the overall scene too much...

Paul

However
Attached Images

Old Sep 9, 2006, 2:59 AM   #5

Excellent photo, as ken said the DOF and exposure are very good.
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 3:01 AM   #6

Thanks Alex, very kind of you. Glad you like it!! Hope you're enjoying some nice autumn time in lovely Wales (been there twice).

Paul
Old Sep 13, 2006, 5:44 PM   #7

I understood the other things but What does mean DOF ? can you explain me, I'm begginer... and i would like to know...

Thanks in advance...
fiteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:13 AM   #8

Hi Paul,

I like the crop the sunflower is placed nicely on a third... I would be inclined to clone out the white band of the sky across the top. Very distracting IMO.

DJ
DJ-Catboy is offline   Reply With Quote