Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:21 AM   #1

Hello everyone, I have been drooling at everyone else on this forum for a little while. Everyone trying techniques out, creating work that inspires or repulses. And today is my first day with my very first camera. Well I have a 2mp Fuji that had 16mb of storage and I could not even get the pictures off the camera because someone who used the camera had lost the USB cable and its one of those square weird ones so to make a long story short this is my first set of photos from my brand new Canon 350D with the 18-55mm kit lens.

I shot about 153 images and most of them just looked like snap shots but I am so new to this whole thing please forgive me All the settings were handled completely by the camera and I shot to jpeg using the "sports mode"

I used Picasa to sharpen and convert to grey scale and then cropped the originals a little. But hey here they are!!!!
Attached Images

mase is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:24 AM   #2

Another.
Attached Images

Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:25 AM   #3

:0
Attached Images

Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:26 AM   #4

Attached Images

Old Sep 10, 2006, 4:46 PM   #5

Mase,

Nice shots - Interesting that you converted them all to B & W...I would be interested to see the color versions.

Also, try shooting from the opposite side (get the look on the skater's face) as well.

See if you can blur the background to focus more on the skater & take a look at the crop I did. It really draws your eye to the action & not the other things in the scene.

All in all, a fine start!

Keep shooting my friend - fill up those memory cards & experiment with different settings, etc.

Best regards,

Nick
Attached Images

SportShotsLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:44 AM   #6

Congratulations on your camera. It has a learning curve but you will love it. Keep posting on the forums. The great people here will nurture you along and teach you a lot.
drewaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 2:17 AM   #7

an interesting range of shot mate. I quite like your composition in the first 2 shots. AS suggested it would be nice to see the colour versions.

Would maybe suggest winding iso up a little more just to sharpen up the shots with a bit more shtter

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 1:53 PM   #8

I really like that first one. I decided to try a bit of a crop on it, to a 3:2 vertical orientation. I didn't want to crop too tight because I wanted to keep that "big air" feeling of height above the road; and I really like the backgroud too, with the scateboard ads or art of whatever that is along the wall. That was a key part of the composition in the original that I didn't want to lose.

I also rotated it 1.6 degrees to level the horizontal lines a bit. And did a bit of editing to fill in the where it was clipped on the right side by the rotate, at the top, along the side. It's really only noticeable if you blow up and look at the road in the bottom right.

Attached Images

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote