Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 29, 2006, 8:41 AM   #1

I need some suggestions on shooting pics of kite surfing I would like to get the kite in the pic and with the lines 120 ft away from the rider I don't think the 17-85 IS lens I purchased with my Canon 30 is the correct lens, not knowing much about photography I have been completely stoked on the pics I have taken, any coments are welcome.

Thanks

Mike

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:04 AM   #2

Here ya go .....................
Attached Images

Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:06 AM   #3

My Lab.........
Attached Images

Old Sep 29, 2006, 10:45 AM   #4

Boon.....
You should be able to get everything in the shot with that lens...It might not be close enough to show details though...I have tried to get the shot you want and come close with my 24-70mm, but not close enough...Mine look like a little guy behind a little kite..
Different shooting angles might help, especially if the kite surfer is in a turn and the kite is low to the water...Look for that opportunity next time your out there...Just be aware of the depth of field...Surfer on one side, kite on the other...hummmm, could be a toughy...O and one thing that will help your water shots big time....Get a circular polorizer filter...Your pictures will look alot better around the water....
john :G
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 7:57 PM   #5

-John
I kinda knew there was something wrong with my water pics but thought it was a setting on the camera or the wrong filter...So BH is going to get some quid and with no real pro ambition " not saying I don't take proceeds for pics" what is your recommendation on a circular polarized filter? go with the 125 unit or go with 325 high end unit ? is their particular one that works really well around surf conditions?

Again, I really appreciate the comments.

Thanks.

Mike-
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:22 PM   #6

Mike.....
All I use is a "cheaper" Hoya polorizer...I think I only paid 75.00 for a 77mm....It works just fine for me...I shoot alot of surfing shots and I am cleaning salt spray off the filter quite a bit, so I opted not to put a real expencive one on the lens... If I were shooting for magizines, I might consider a more expencive one...But I am not, so the cheap way I go....
john :roll:
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 10:35 PM   #7

-Thanks john

If the pics in your gallery where taken with the "cheaper" Ho ya than that will be fine for me..... thanks , with out going through all the photog bla-bla are there any setting recommandation I should be using for shooting in sports mode with a Canon 30 on sunny days.

Looking at the cover of kite board magazines dont ya think you would need some sort of wide angle Zooomy lens?

Thanks.

Mike-
Old Sep 29, 2006, 10:57 PM   #8

-john
Im looking for this shot ...the pic has been stretched and skewed but would the 17-85 capable of this or should consider a different lens?

Mike-
Attached Images

Old Sep 29, 2006, 11:38 PM   #9

Thats all going to depend on your shooting location. This shot looks like it was taken from a watercraft or perhaps directly in the water. Your lens will do that if this were the case.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 8:50 AM   #10

-Widowmaker

I'm pretty sure that pic came from Aruba there is a little platform out there for the pole boarders to get their hero pics.

How was the convex or the curvature acheived in this pic?

Thanks

Mike-