Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 1, 2006, 3:12 AM   #1

Does this shot have any merit? comments,opinionsand suggestions?
Attached Images

rubadubdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:56 AM   #2

Technically, it seems a bit underexposed and lacking in contrast, but that could just be my laptop.*It would be interesting to see it in black and white - other than the pink* interior*telling us that the shoe belongs to a little girl, I don't think the color adds anything and B&W would emphasize the emotional and graphic elements better, IMO.** *I would also like to see a slightly shooting higher angle, which would give a little more space between the top of the swing and the lower shoe and the upper shoe and the right side of the chain. *But emotionally, I think it works very well.* It has a bit of mystery about it, doesn't it?* It pulls me in, but doesn't give me all the answers.* * (Did you notice how the shape* and angle of the swing almost looks like an empty diaper?* Spooky!)* I'm not sure it it was your intent or not, but as a mother, it makes me a little sad and anxious:* where is the child?* Did she just run out of the frame and forget her new shoes, or did something more sinister happen?* It might even be the style of shot that could be used to illustrate an article on missing children.* In other words,* it makes me think. It tells a story and invokes a strong emotional response and from my viewpoint, despite the technical drawbacks mentioned above, that makes it successful!* Ria
RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 7:16 PM   #3

Thanks RiaRia for looking and your feedback, when I saw this it struck me straight away( being a Dad of 3 ) with feelings of fright, anxiety and loss.

Made my heart jump.

I'd hoped to capture some of that feeling with the shot and as your feelings echo mine I suppose I have been somewhat successful.

I know technically it's not a great pic . Maybe a high contrast B/W might make a better image.

Thanks again

David

rubadubdub is offline   Reply With Quote