Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:32 PM   #1

well i've been hunting down this albino squirrel in my backyard for the past couple of days, and managed to get a few (bad) shots of him as you can see below, but that's not the point of this thread.

The picture with the grey squirrel posing, I swear it has potential, but when I was messing with it, i just couldnt get it to look good, and it's kinda blurry . Think a blurred background behind the tree and squirrel would look good? like its only focused on the squirrel and tree?

*im starting to think the top squirrel looks really humanlike, it's kinda creepy :O

*thanks!

xfxgeforced is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2006, 9:03 PM   #2

I love #1, very cute, great pose !!
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 9:05 PM   #3

I have never seen a squirrel's arms extended like that...they do seem to have biceps and triceps shaped like humans! How funny!
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:00 PM   #4

Well the first one is the one that I was asking for suggestions to make it better, and was thinking that blurring the background a little bit would ease the clutter of the trees and house in the back. Thank you for the compliment too!

*the second one isnt meant to be good btw, its an example of the albino squirrel that I haven't got a decent shot of yet :roll: He's tricky

Boily wrote:
Quote:
I love #1, very cute, great pose !
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:24 PM   #5

this is kinda what I was talking about

notice the blurred background. It could be done better, but this is just for reference.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 7:02 AM   #6

XF.....
The shots are cute for sure...But, I have looked and looked at the first one and I dont see anything in the shot in focus...I am wondering where your camera actually focused...
Its not off much but I dont see any area with crisp clear focus...Try setting your camera to center focus...Sometimes the 7 or 9 point focusing is a pain in the butt...One other thing, if you want squirrels, fill your bird feeder with sun flower seeds...You will have the whole fam damnly of squirrels in no time...:?
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 8:35 AM   #7

well, as I mentioned earlier, I am aware of the pictures bluriness, and it's most likely out of focus because the light wasnt the best and I didn't get a good focus in, or i may have managed to move the camera while the shutter was open. Either way, I'm not going to even put it up on my website since I just can't find any reason that the picture is decent. Thank you for confirming that, I appreciate the honesty.

-Panasonic FZ5 btw

John at the Beach wrote:
Quote:
XF.....
The shots are cute for sure...But, I have looked and looked at the first one and I dont see anything in the shot in focus...I am wondering where your camera actually focused...
Its not off much but I dont see any area with crisp clear focus...Try setting your camera to center focus...Sometimes the 7 or 9 point focusing is a pain in the butt...One other thing, if you want squirrels, fill your bird feeder with sun flower seeds...You will have the whole fam damnly of squirrels in no time...:?
Old Oct 4, 2006, 8:38 AM   #8

moving on, here's my site, Mine would be under TeePhotos: www.teefizz.com

Old Oct 8, 2006, 1:44 PM   #9

I learned this tip at prophotosecrets:
Duplicate the layer
On that layer go to Filter, other, high pass
Start with something around 2.5
Click OK
Under Blend, choose Hard light
If you are satisfied, merge this layer with the original.
pearlyvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:24 AM   #10

How about this? I used a technique I had read about todayin a book on black and white digital photography with the noise filters. USM at 100%, 1.5 radius and 0 threshold. Blurred the background with the gaussian blur to give the optical illusion he is more in focus than he is.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I had tried the despeckle and the median, but they didn't bring him out as much as the USM.
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote