Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 20, 2006, 11:50 PM   #1

Hi,

This is a photo of my cousin's son, Julian. I'm editing this photo to give to her. I've done the b&w conversion and a little selective coloring. I wanted to make the pumpkin lighter than original so it didn't POP soo much. I also blurred the background and added noise to the photo. My questions:

1. What is the best way to lighten the pumpkin? I adjusted the levels to achieve this.

2.Should I lighten it more?

3. What do you think of the blurred b/g and added noise?

4. Any other suggestions on editing the photo?

Thanks in advance.

Original

Edit A

Edit B

afayec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:47 AM   #2

I can see the potential in selective colouring working here. however i do feel the very busy backing may hinder the images success.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"There is a great photographer here in nz, and i would have no idea what her name is, but i remeber seeeing this type of work, and she used a very plain black backing to maximise the subjects dominance in the frame. As the selective colouring is not on the main subject i guess in this context you might have to watch out that the baby doesnt start merging into the backing. Ofcourse lense blurring the backing will minimise this but im not sure if this is enough.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I would even go a step further and clone out that arm in the shot also.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Maybe try a black backing and see how that goes for you. If you ar working in layers this should be very easy.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 8:02 AM   #3

Hi I don't understand why you desaturate Julian, this way the pumpkin is more important in the picture than he is.

I tried an analog idee, kept the first 3 pumpkins and Julian, then desaturated the rest, and added a gausian blur on the background. Then cropped the picture so the arm isn't showing anymore, also cut of the bottom of the pumpkin so it doesn't seem to float in the air, Julian then isn't anymore in the center what I like better.

For the desaturation en gausian blur I first selected the area, desaturated 10% shrunk the area 20px and desaturated 10% and shru... the same for the gausian blur to sort of create a dof effect.

Anyway a very fun subject - Ronny
Attached Images

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:34 PM   #4

Hi rhermans....I like your edit MUCH better than mine. Thanks
afayec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 2:48 PM   #5

afayec wrote:
Quote:
Hi rhermans....I like your edit MUCH better than mine. Thanks

absolutely. this is down the road i was thinking. the orig made the pumpkin the main focus. This works muich better. Its strong enough to draw the eye from the busy backing and keeps the focus in the right place

nice edit work

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:15 AM   #6

but you have a nice background...here it's my try.
Attached Images

mad_grll is offline   Reply With Quote