Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 22, 2006, 7:34 PM   #1

Sneezy1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2006, 6:16 AM   #2

great subject and composition

howeveer i think the shot is over exposed. You are loosing a fair bit of detail in your main subject due to this

i just did a quick edit below

hope you don tmind. just pulled in highlights and shaprend the main flower

ken
Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 8:48 AM   #3

Don't mind at all I love what you did! Now do you want to teach me how you did it??? LOL!
Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:30 AM   #4

Sneezy1956 wrote:
Quote:
Don't mind at all I love what you did! Now do you want to teach me how you did it??? LOL!

this is very easy mate.

If you are using ps cs2.

I simply selected the entire image and went into the >image>adjustments>shadow/highlights

i usually drop shadow bar down to around 10%, then i play with the highlight bar until i think its right, I think for ths image i think arond 30 looked about right.

I then went to
>image>adjustments>levels
On the levels options i moved the centre pointer (Which controls mids) to the right to deepen the mid tones. I think this gives the image a much deeper appeal. Play with this aswell until you like it.

I then just selected the entire image and ran noise ninja to noise reduce the entire image to soften it up nicely. The reason i run this now if to clean up any random artifacts which may have resulted from the highlight/shadow improvements. This just keeps the work clean, bcse if we were to sharpen, this would only enhance this mess and end up looking worse off with random artifacts all over the image. ....... well potentially in a worst case senario.

I then used the freehand lasso tool in the left tool pallet, made a selection around the flower thignie. Then clicked
>selection>feather and entered 10pixels. If its a hi res image i usualy use around 50.

The reason why i feather is to make the selection blend back into the image, so you dont get this hard border line between the edited and unedited parts of the shot.

Now select filters>sharpen>smart sharpen or Unsharp mask. Again play with the radius (Which determines the boldness of the sharpning, and the % setting until you are happy.

Once this is done then that was it.

Very easy stuff. Much harder to explain than to do. About 3 mins worth or work really

hope this helps

ken

Old Oct 24, 2006, 5:41 AM   #5

thanks for the explanation - didn't know of the existence of the Select-Feather effect - up till now i mostly copied the thing I wanted to blend in 2 layers and added a gaussion blur to the bottom one - the feater works even better - Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 5:43 AM   #6

rhermans wrote:
Quote:
thanks for the explanation - didn't know of the existence of the Select-Feather effect - up till now i mostly copied the thing I wanted to blend in 2 layers and added a gaussion blur to the bottom one - the feater works even better - Ronny

yes, the feather works nicely. Once you get the hang of it edits appear seamless.

Old Oct 24, 2006, 8:09 AM   #7

I'm still running paint shop pro I'm saving I can get CS2 from the university I work at fairly reasonable but I have to save for it

Once I get it I'll revisit your instructions. Thank you so much for the tutorial
Old Oct 24, 2006, 2:47 PM   #8

Sneezy1956 wrote:
Quote:
I'm still running paint shop pro I'm saving I can get CS2 from the university I work at fairly reasonable but I have to save for it

Once I get it I'll revisit your instructions. Thank you so much for the tutorial

no worries mate.

im sure if you punch in those key words in paint shop pro they should have some equivalnet options and see if that works for you. And indeed cs2 is an incredible invesmanet. I think it was a great upgrade from ps7

ken
Old Oct 24, 2006, 2:56 PM   #9

Well I really appreciate all the instructions I can't wait to play tonight and see what I can find! You have talk me a lot! I know who to come to now when I get CS
Old Oct 29, 2006, 7:23 AM   #10

I used Elements 5 to do this edit - noise reduction, shadows/highlights adj., levels mid range adjust, sharpened whole pic with usm
Attached Images

bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote