Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 23, 2006, 7:08 AM   #1

hello all!

I'd like your comments and feedback as to what you think of these two photos. These were taken a few weeks ago when I was on honeymoon in the south west of Greece... I made a variety of photos of landscape, nature (closeups of plants and animals) and of course of my lovely wife... A few times we asked people to take a photo of us together too.

I decided to do a few photos of us on the beach using my tripodand the camera's self-timer (these are the results). Obviously I am so annoyed in this first photo that I just cut the top of my head off (does it make the photo only worth the recycle bin because of that mistake?)

Silly me! I still have to realise when composing such photos although I'm not tall, STLL I AM a full head taller than my wife (she's only 1.5m, that is 4ft 11 inches I think according to imerial). And I didn't check the review of this photo close enough on the camera screen to notice (that is I only noticed my head wasn't all there... :blah:... till I downloaded it on my computer).

anyway... your thoughts?Delete or keep?

Paul

Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2006, 7:11 AM   #2

And then the second photo of us... I decided a black and white would maybe suit this (closer) verson... especially because the differences in our complexions are not so noticable (I'm fairer than Tundi) and just maybe B&W suits it...

Should I clone out the lonely chair on the beach (is it too distracting)? And are the (blown) highlights of my very white t-shirt bad in a B&W (I don't do too much B&W work....)

I'd appreciate your feedback / hints / help!

Paul
Attached Images

Old Oct 23, 2006, 8:00 AM   #3

Sorry couldn't help myself.

Used a part of the black and white to reconstruct your scalp. [img]images/emoticons/cool_shades.gif[/img]

Honeymoon pictures are to precious to just dump in the recycle bin

Ronny
Attached Images

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:19 AM   #4

I really like the second shot. You two look soo cute :-). I didn't notice the chair at first glance cause I was looking at you newlyweds, but it is a bit distracting. I'm not sure about your shirt, it doesn't bother me personally.

rhermans' edit of the first shot looks great. I can't even tell! I guess what bothers me about the shot is your bodylanguage. You're turned facing your wife, but also facing out of the frame. Maybe it would have been better ifyou two had switched places? I am by no means a pro, I'm just learning.

Great job

A
afayec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:14 AM   #5

Paul....
Looking at the pictures the one thing I would suggest ...this is regards to the shots of the two of you standing on the beach with the beach in the back ground, I mean shots 1 and 3...My suggestion would be, what is called "the 1/3's"....What I see on these couple of shots is about 1/4th...Meaning you two are to far to the side of the shot...To much scenery, not enough you...But with that said.............You have plenty of time to learn and as far as dumping the shots.....DON'T.....Those are memories and who cares of they aren't perfect....You and the new bride will remember that day and will laugh about how the pictures were taken...Especially when your about 75 and you cant run fast enough to get in the picture on a 10 second timer....
john :G
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 4:15 AM   #6

rhermans wrote:
Quote:
Sorry couldn't help myself.

Used a part of the black and white to reconstruct your scalp. [img]images/emoticons/cool_shades.gif[/img]

Honeymoon pictures are to precious to just dump in the recycle bin

Ronny
Ronny! Thanks for the fantastic edit. It's great (maybe I've even grown an inch!) :G

You're right, honeymoon pictures shouldn't be dumped... I guess I should have said "should I keep this as one of my favourites or just archive?"!

Thanks again for a great edit. You did a great job. I didn't know if it would be possible, but you proved it could be done. (maybe I'm just too busy at the moment)

Cheers

Paul
Old Oct 24, 2006, 4:23 AM   #7

afayec wrote:
Quote:
I really like the second shot. You two look soo cute :-). I didn't notice the chair at first glance cause I was looking at you newlyweds, but it is a bit distracting. I'm not sure about your shirt, it doesn't bother me personally.

rhermans' edit of the first shot looks great. I can't even tell! I guess what bothers me about the shot is your bodylanguage. You're turned facing your wife, but also facing out of the frame. Maybe it would have been better ifyou two had switched places? I am by no means a pro, I'm just learning.

Great job

A
Hello Afayec!

Thanks for the kind comments. In a sense I also like the second shot more (as per original photos), though yep ronny's edit is very good. I've not done a closer up one of us before using timer.. and I quite like one of my few B&W trials.

About the first photo, you have in fact picked up on something that subconsciously made me not like the photo... you're totally right that I AM facing towards the outside of the frame. I should've thought of that when I was composing the photo and then standing next to Tundi...

Thanks for the compliments we're a cute couple... I'm honoured!

Here is the 2nd photo with chair cloned out... Better?

Paul
Attached Images

Old Oct 24, 2006, 4:39 AM   #8

John at the Beach wrote:
Quote:
Paul....
Looking at the pictures the one thing I would suggest ...this is regards to the shots of the two of you standing on the beach with the beach in the back ground, I mean shots 1 and 3...My suggestion would be, what is called "the 1/3's"....What I see on these couple of shots is about 1/4th...Meaning you two are to far to the side of the shot...To much scenery, not enough you...But with that said.............You have plenty of time to learn and as far as dumping the shots.....DON'T.....Those are memories and who cares of they aren't perfect....You and the new bride will remember that day and will laugh about how the pictures were taken...Especially when your about 75 and you cant run fast enough to get in the picture on a 10 second timer....
john :G
John (so appropriate of you to comment "John at the beach"!)

Thanks for looking and also for your constructive thoughts and comments. Actually you're totally right about the "rule of thirds" which I missed by being too far (just in the far right corner). I do know the rule of thirds, but just didn't take time to think / plan enough when composing the photo (and running for the timer!)

So with your input, as well as that of Ronnys and afeyecs, I relooked at some other photos, and maybe I was missing a superior photo (because I was concentrating too much on the smaller details...)

so here is another shot I had made using tripod and timer (just before the 2 other ones posted above)... and what do you (all) think of this one? Maybe it's the best of all but I didn't see it first time round (I thought we were too far from the camera... but maybe not).

Also I don't see the chair as distracting in this composition. I'm facing "into" the frame (rather than out) and following rule of thirds better.

Thanks all for your helpful insight and for looking.

So any comments / thoughts on this one?

Paul
Attached Images

Old Oct 24, 2006, 4:59 AM   #9

shot 2 is great

maybe clone out that little chair in the backing

lovely shots mate

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 5:27 AM   #10

much more better :-) than the first one Paul , but I would crop a 10 to 15% from the left side of the picture, that would place you guy's more in 2/3 spot on the picture, now the beach is so big that it is a bit distracting - Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote