Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 28, 2006, 9:18 PM   #1

Hello:* There is a weird color cast on the tee-shirt that I couldn't figure out how to remove.* So I attempted to convert it to b&W using a Channels adj. layer.* It still doesn't look quite right to me ... the white tee shirt is now gray on my monitor, (though it looked much worse after I resized it for the web.)* Any comments or critique would be greatly appreciated.**
Attached Images

RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2006, 9:20 PM   #2

Here's the file before I converted.* Not sure which I prefer ... what do ya'll think?
Old Oct 29, 2006, 3:46 AM   #3

cool shot

Umm i think i prefer the colour version

there you go, removed the cast

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 8:47 AM   #4

Oh, wow - thanks!* Could you explain how you did that when you have time?* *I have PS CS2 - every time I tried to fix the tee shirt, I messed up the baby racoon, too.* Thanks - Ria*
Old Oct 29, 2006, 1:35 PM   #5

RiaRia wrote:
Quote:
Oh, wow - thanks!? Could you explain how you did that when you have time?? ?I have PS CS2 - every time I tried to fix the tee shirt, I messed up the baby racoon, too.? Thanks - Ria?

hi Ria

This is very easy to do

just duplicate layer. Then selected "REPLACE COLOUR" which i tink is in the ADJUSTMENTS tab. With the eye dropper in this mode click on the purple tone on the tshirt. try to select a mid tone of this shade. Once selected adjust the feather option at the top to suit. This just shows the range of differnece for selection. Once you have dont this.

Now bcse it seems everything affectd by the cast is meant to be white its easy to fix. Now go to the saturation bar at the bottom and drop the level right down and you will see the purple start to disappear but everything else will stay like normal.

And thats it. I just did this once to get my result

ken
Old Oct 29, 2006, 3:58 PM   #6

Hi, Ken.* I tried your instructions and it worked perfectly.* I used to be able to use "Remove* Color Cast" under Elements 3, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to do the same thing in CS2.* Thanks a bunch!* Ria
Old Oct 29, 2006, 7:31 PM   #7

RiaRia wrote:
Quote:
Hi, Ken.? I tried your instructions and it worked perfectly.? I used to be able to use "Remove? Color Cast" under Elements 3, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to do the same thing in CS2.? Thanks a bunch!? Ria

No worries Ria

Happy to help. I too am learning too andi enjoy trying new things to try to figure out how to do a certain thing in ps

well done

ken
Old Oct 31, 2006, 4:16 AM   #8

Do find the black and white version better than the one where the color cast has been removed.

Tried another work flow, just opened in ps cs2, used curves, just used the Highlights dropselector and selected the blue colorcast, then duplicated the original image in a layer above, desaturated it, and set the overlay mode to luminosity. This way the lost details are returned to the image.

I still have a blue cast but not so pronounciated and imho it is a bit better- Ronny
Attached Images

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 4:55 AM   #9

Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:04 AM   #10

Thanks so much for your help, guys.* I will try out Ronny's suggestions when I get home from work tonight.* BTW - I'm still puzzled as to where the blue cast came from; *whether it was something in my camera or the light itself.* Because of this I haven't been using the camera much since for fear it would come back.* I took the pic inside the door of a wooden horse barn on a very sunny day.* Any guesses?