Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 30, 2006, 6:00 AM   #1

Hi folks!

Here is a photo I snapped (ok, I was basically lying on my stomach in the waves!) at a beach in Greece some weeks ago.

I found it interesting how the waves seemed to match the contours of the "small sand cliff" created by small-scale wave / sea action (natural shore-line erosion).

And with the focal point being one of the ridges nearby, I quite liked the blurred background (which contains some people on the beach and mountains behind them).

What do you think? Anything you would have done or do differently?

Looking forward to your comments.

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:02 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hey Paul,

I like the concept but might be worth to try a couple of things. I would firstly straighten the horizon as it looks to be slightly off to the right (the people seem to be leaning), and if the line of the sand ridge going into the distance was slightly more over to the left but still started into the same place that might work better.

However I do like what you have done here!

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 3:31 AM   #3

thanks Mark for the comments!

I think you're right, the horizon isn't straight ... whoops! I don't have time now to edit it / play around with it.

Yes, at times when I make photos I forget things like you said, a more diagonal line of the little sand cliff would probably have looked better... I'll have to be more thoughtful!! though I was trying to keep my camera (and camera bag) away from the spray and maybe my mind was too full of that thought!

Still thanks for your insightful and very helpful comments!!

Best regards

Paul
Old Oct 31, 2006, 6:14 AM   #4

Hi Paul,

it's not the horizon that bothers me that much but the people in it are more distracting. So i cloned them out, and straightend the horizon a bit.

Hope you don't mind

The other way to go would be to crop the top of the image what also works for me.

All in all, nice shot, neverremarkedit that the wavegot the same look als the coast.

Ronny

Attached Images

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 6:15 AM   #5
Super Moderator

I'm not so sure about the people, personally I think they add something to the shot (would have loved them to have been on the left 1/3 line but hey you can't get everything right).
Old Nov 2, 2006, 12:24 AM   #6

Ronny,

Thanks for looking and I do understand to some people the "peoplein the photo" can be distracting.... though I did have them in the photo on purpose. Though I have to admit that I do also like your edit. Thanks

Paul
Old Nov 2, 2006, 12:31 AM   #7

Yes Mark, I agree if I had the people more in the left third that would've worked better... I need more patience and practise to get "all the things right" during composition... no excuses for me... even when I'm lying flat on the sand with my camera gear near the waves... :lol:

Paul
Old Nov 2, 2006, 2:30 AM   #8
Super Moderator

LOL, you mean you don't have an unlimited supply of cameras and lenses just in case you get one damaged..........? Nope me neither, however I have just got the Kata E-702 and E-704 protective covers so things like that should no longer be a worry to me.

As for getting everything right, I am no where near that either but as long as we learn after each shot then all we can do is get better :-)
Old Nov 2, 2006, 7:16 AM   #9

I have to agree the leaning bothers me a lot I caught myself leaning with them. But, I totally love the concept of the picture and think with some Photoshop it's going to be an amazing shot.
Sneezy1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 7:49 AM   #10
Super Moderator

I have done a quick edit which give what I would like the original to have looked like (well sort of). What do you think? OK I know it is not great as I started with a low res image but it should give th idea.
Attached Images