Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:24 AM   #1

Hello all... I'm a brand new member here and I was told this is a great place to come for some really good help, feedback and encouragement! I wanted to post in the critiques forum, cause sometimes you don't get a lot of replies in the specific PICTURE TYPE forum, like I did in the landscape one.

Anyway... I posted some of my 1st pictures ever taken with my new Nikon D200 DSLR, and they are from my trip to the Smokies! I would really lovesome feedback on how they came out and if anybody liked any in particular.

You can leave me feedback here or you can post comments directly on the PBase site where my pictures reside!

Here's the link... http://www.pbase.com/paularino/great_smoky_mountains

I'm hoping some of you have some free time to help out a new amateur nature photographer with my 1st pictures!

Best, Paularino

http://www.pbase.com/paularino/great_smoky_mountains

paularino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2006, 4:07 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi Paularino and welcome.

I like the shot very much but just feel that it is slightly under exposed losing some of the potential. Framing is good and a good use of a 2" shutter.

I hope you don't mind but I have done a quick edit which I believe gives it a little more punch (however my usual laptop is dead so I have had to do this on my work one and I know the colours are a little out).

I haveincreased the shadows and midtones as well as the saturation. Finally I have applied some unsharp mask (usm) to up the detail.

BTW I think you will find most people will comment here rather than using another site (and I would encourage this as it is exactly what these forums are for - as you found yourself when you posted and didn't get a reply to a previous shot we want to see more replies here and not less).

Looking forward to seeing more posts here.

Mark
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 9:03 PM   #3

Ahh, I see! I don't mind at all and I really appreciate you taking the time to explain things out. I use my laptop monitor so maybe I see more detail on it and I thought it looked alright. Can you look at more of them on your laptop and see if it makes a difference?

I was wondering about that on some photo's though. Are there more like that?

http://www.pbase.com/paularino/great_smoky_mountains

What do you think about this one?

Old Nov 1, 2006, 4:28 AM   #4
Super Moderator

There are some good shots on your site and I really like http://www.pbase.com/paularino/image/68815649however it is slightly let down by the twig in the top middle as it takes away from the smoothness of the water.

As for the one that you have just posted I would look at theframing (I am terrible at this until I get back from the shoot). I have cropped it in a way that I think will add to the overall effect, I have also upped the shadows and midtones as well as the saturation and finally the last thing I do in Post Processing (PP) is apply unsharp mask. This is something that all dSLR users do (or at least should do) as images straight from the camera will be a little soft and if you up the sharpness in camera you can increase noise so it is easier to do it at the end of editing.

My fave shots you have taken are the ones where you have gone in close to a particular rock or just a few rocks and would say you have some saleable images there.
Attached Images

Old Nov 1, 2006, 8:26 PM   #5

I know, I tried so hard to crop that darn twig out but it just takes too much away from the composition of it all. I guess I could use the magic eraser blend tool in Adobe.

Your croping does make it look better, thank you so much for taking the time to do that and actually work with me, truly appreciated!

Ireally do like to shoot rocks in water, but I didn't know if there were any fans for that like I like it. it would be nice to know one day that someone was interested enought to even ask if they were for sale, that alone would make my day, month and yr.

Thanks again for all your help and I'll start to play with more PP work like you suggested!

Paul

Old Nov 1, 2006, 8:32 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Well I never intended to sell my work, it was just from talking to people that they asked if I had a web site etc so decided to set one up. It took almost a year to get thisdone and to feel my work was good enough..... lastly Ihad to getthe online purchasing side sorted which has now been live for a month. I'm happy as I have made approx $200 (I think you are in the US so didn't do it in £) which is not bad for the first month of trading. I guess that it is easier for me as I cover sports events to players, drivers etc want to order shots taken but I'm sure you could get onto forums covering walks, activities in the areas that you have shot and get some fliers out or something.

With the D200 you have the right kit so with some practise in PS and on location I'm sure you are going to get some amazing shots!!

Keep up the good work,

Mark
Old Nov 2, 2006, 1:35 AM   #7

Got cha! I'd like to build up a good inventory 1st and take it from there!

Mark, I posted about 10 more close rock shots I had which you say you like - so feel free have 1 more look see if you'd like.

Here's 1

and again, the rest are here... http://www.pbase.com/paularino/great_smoky_mountains

Good luck in all your endeavors!