Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 2, 2006, 10:37 PM   #1

Hello, All:

I am gathering possible submissions to a local photo contest, but I can't make up my mind about this one. I had a hard time deciding how to crop it but finally settled on this version. Arrgh! I think I have been working at it too long ... should I try to clone out the kitty on the right and crop in closer or just give up?

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Ria
Attached Images

RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2006, 6:08 PM   #2

Ria.....
I think you have a good shot here but there are a few things, I see wrong...Slightly that is...I think the shot is a bit dark...Photoshop will fix that of course...The mans T shirt has smudges that I personaly dont care for, but thats me...Again PS will fix that....As far as cloneing out the one kitten...I think your asking for trouble doing that...The furry little guy is a big part of the shot and taking him out will be a major task...You would have to match the stripes on the shirt and get all the details just right for it to look good...Leave the kittys and do just the little tweeks...I think you would come out better going that route... :G
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2006, 6:15 PM   #3

Maybe something like this???
Attached Images

John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2006, 4:17 PM   #4

Hi, John- thanks so much for your advice, it was very helpful. I think you are correct on both accounts. The gentleman in the picture is a local rancher who has dark skin burned by years in the sun, so it was hard for me to judge if the pic was indeed too dark. It looked ok on my laptop, but lately all of my prints have been coming out too dark, too - so I probably need to have it calibrated.

I wish I had taken the picture with the second kitten not looking out of the frame, but it's a relief to hear your opinion nixing the cloning. I am new to PS, so it would take me forever. I appreciate you taking the time to comment very much! Ria
Old Nov 10, 2006, 7:34 PM   #5

I prefer the somber mood that the"dark" photoprovides. It tells me more about the man. His long hard yrs out in the sunand the manual labor of his job shows up in the way his face is dimly lit and by his"dirty" shirt.Nice shot, by the way. I like where this picture "takes" me in my mind.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:20 PM   #6

Thanks so much for your comments, DRGSin. The older gentle-man has worked outdoors with horses all of his life, and is undeniably one of the most intelligent human beings I have ever known. Yet, he never went to school past the sixth grade.

Life can be strange sometimes, no? Ria
Old Nov 16, 2006, 5:46 AM   #7

great capture

very nice shot. i wold lke to see an edit somewhere between the 2 shown here.

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:22 PM   #8

Hello, All:

I'm pretty sure my LCD is too dark, but I thought I'd try to lighten it a bit. Does this look any better? Thanks, Ria
Attached Images

Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:30 PM   #9

RiaRia wrote:
Quote:
Hello, All:

I'm pretty sure my LCD is too dark, but I thought I'd try to lighten it a bit. Does this look any better? Thanks, Ria
Hi Ria

yea i think this is closer to the mark

nice

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:37 PM   #10

Thanks, Ken.

I've been trying to practice setting the white and black points in levels and curves (though they still baffle me somewhat). I think I am beginning to make a little progress, thanks to the forum's help. Ria