Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 6, 2006, 1:09 PM   #1

Hokay, let's try this again. This was taken with a point-and-shoot Nikon 3100 (3.2mp) with my polarized pair of sunglass as the filter giving it a yellow cast which I actually like and retained to make it an old, holloween photo look.

I'm switching to a Nikon D50 in a few weeks. I'm a newbie photography enthusiast and wondering how my style/technique is at the moment.

Thank you.

Brian

psilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2006, 5:39 AM   #2

Nice picture of bldg 93, I was there over the summer . Have some shots from the inside but not of bldg 93.
Geminichild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:31 AM   #3

Nice work!
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:38 AM   #4

Thanks guys. I love this place. I'll post more photos for you to evaluate. Let me know how I can improve my compositions.

I can't wait for my Nikon D50 (I'll buy it at Cameta on thurs.)

I'll be back there early Friday if I'm able to buy a camera (hopefully!)

I wish there are photographers there so we can share tips and stuff.

Geminichild, when are you coming back? Can you go in? What bldg.?

Brian

Another angle; the next day, early morning. I hope the colors turn out right... I'm viewing it with my 2nd computer with an lcd monitor and it looks horrible from here! (Huey won't be here in 2 weeks! :_( )

Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:16 AM   #5

Love the second shot too. As for going inside well got to be in Ninja mode for that.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:56 AM   #6

psilver, that's great work and you call yourself a newbie? How did you learn to photograph like that. I am new here, forgive me for asking. But to a total novice to digital photography, your work is magical.

Great going and keep it up

Jacob

psilver wrote:
Quote:
Hokay, let's try this again. This was taken with a point-and-shoot Nikon 3100 (3.2mp) with my polarized pair of sunglass as the filter giving it a yellow cast which I actually like and retained to make it an old, holloween photo look.

I'm switching to a Nikon D50 in a few weeks. I'm a newbie photography enthusiast and wondering how my style/technique is at the moment.

Thank you.

Brian
Jacob James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 1:22 PM   #7

Thank you Jacob. Let me see your work as well. Check my other stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/psilver/ .

That's what I though... I have to be a ninja! Well, I'll leave that for a future project.. for some reason, the insides still spook me (thanks for my paranoid fiancee); but I love walking there alone. So relaxing.

I was always interested in photography mainly because I love gadgets and since film SLR is expensive (for a boy!) years ago, I never got into it. I never thought of myself as a creative guy but I guess if anybody put his or her heart into something, you'll amaze even yourself on what you can achieve.

I just took a crash course in photography, reading every information I can find then always look at other people's work and see how they did it, lighting, angle, look at the exif data, what camera was used, setting, lens, etc. I found that you don't even have to buy a single book! There are so many information on the internet and your local library!

I still don't think i'm any better than 99% of amateurs here but thanks for the nice comments. I was thinking someone will tell me about wrong exposure, angles, etc.

Here's two more..

First day around 2pm(?). One of the abandoned buildings right along the hike and bike trail. Again, used my polarized sunglasses as a filter.

I'm sure there's a comment for this! :?

This one was taken on the second day at 6:30am or something when the sun was about to show on the horizon. My first shot of the day.

Old Nov 7, 2006, 1:32 PM   #8

Wow, thanks for bringing back some memories! As a kid, with my family we drove by that place everytime we went to visit granny and pappy. Back then it wasn't abandoned and always there were patients milling around the grounds. awww, the old days...
MarkString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 1:49 PM   #9

Yes, it was a small city by itself. I saw the old photos in a local library. I used to work in Pilgrim Psychiatric and the old timers were telling me how the place was back in the 70s til the 90s. It has its own power station, post office, railroad station, etc.

When I'm there, I sometimes imagine people walking around, both staff and patients. Too bad they demolished most of the buildings. I guess it got too big for its own good.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 1:57 PM   #10

I been inside Pilgram also, if you get inside and see how it's decayed now than you really start to think of how it used to be there. It's like time stands still and makes you think. Check out some of my inside shots of various asylums

www.flickr.com/photos/memoriesremain