Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 7, 2006, 5:57 AM   #1

Just came back home after taking the camera out into the countryside. My mother was smoking a cig outside, with the sun low and shining directly at the smoke. I just took the camera out, put it on auto and shot.

I got a few, but this is the first one. I just thought the smoke looked pretty cool all lit up like that.

Camera is a Fuji S602Z Pro. I think you should be able to get the rest of the details off the EXIF data?

Ok - is there anything I can do in PS to make this better? I cloned out a few dust spots, but nothing else. If anyone wants the original to play with, let me know and I'll upload it to an image site

Many thanks, David.
Attached Images

Napalm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:30 AM   #2

For future reference, you can upload your pictures straight to your post by adding an attachment. That saves us the hassle of opening a new window (and consequent pop-up windows from your site).

That said, your picture is pretty good. Great control of DOF and a good amount of detail. The only problem I have is distracting blown out highlights on the hand. I think the picture might be better without the glasses, as well.
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:57 AM   #3

Ok thanks for the tip about attachments. I remembered there was a size limit, but couldn't remember the details, hence why I used an off-site image host.

When you say highlights blown - essentially do you mean its too light in that area? Is that something I can attempt to fix in Photoshop? If so, how? I'm a novice so go easy.

It was very spur of the moment, so I didn't really have time to compose it, hence the glasses.

Thanks for the critique.

Old Nov 9, 2006, 8:05 AM   #4

David...

Like the picture. Good idea.

Just my own views is to try it in black and white. Hope you don't mind but I have given it a quick go, cropped some more from the right, and, as suggested, removed the glasses (needs more work though).

Still think the parts of the hand it too burnt out though.

See what you think

Poal
Attached Images

Poal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 8:07 AM   #5

eh that's not bad, thanks.

I managed to work out how to use the clone stamp in PS and managed to remove the glasses too

Thanks for the tips guys.

Old Nov 11, 2006, 8:35 AM   #6

Napalm83 wrote:
Quote:
When you say highlights blown - essentially do you mean its too light in that area? Is that something I can attempt to fix in Photoshop? If so, how? I'm a novice so go easy.
Blown highlights are hard to fix in Photoshop. It's usually easier to underexpose the original and lighten it later. Of course, like you said, it was spur of the moment and I'll bet you didn't have time to be picky about your exposure!
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote