Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 11, 2006, 11:34 AM   #1

Taken on a S602Z. Sun was just off to the right.

Took it on auto, so I can't comment on what settings I did or didn't use

Was there anything I could have done to make it look better (I think it's pretty decent as it is) by using one of the other non-auto modes? I'm a novice when it comes to things like shutter speed and apeture, but I know roughly what they both do.

No PP done to the pic except some resizing in PS.

[EDIT - if the pic is too big I'll delete and resize / re upload]

Edit 2: By the way, I will welcome criticism on the actual artistic merit of the pic. I think I did quite well, there's little in the way of foreground to distract you, and I managed to capture (by accident ) the branch of the hawthorne tree in the top right, which I think frames it nicely.

Attached Images

Napalm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2006, 2:03 AM   #2

Deleted text - double post!
RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 2:08 AM   #3

Hello:

It seems to me that the most interesting part of your image is concentrated in a small area of the lower right-hand corner. Most people's eyes start looking at the left of an image, and then go toward the right side. If I was looking at this scene, I think I might have placed more emphasis on the fence line, which could help lead the eye into the image. (Something like the cropped version below?)

Well, everybody's viewpoint is different, but they are all valid. That's what makes photography so much fun, no? Cheers! Ria
Attached Images

Old Nov 13, 2006, 5:30 AM   #4

Good crop Thanks

I was looking at the clouds that day (really high altitude ice crystals - I don't know the name of them though) but now you mention it that area off to the right looks good. I may go out and experiment with that shot. This location is literally a 5 minute walk from my house.

Edit: Nice jackrabbit you have in your avatar.

Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:12 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Hi,

For those wondering what the settings were when this photos was taken they are shown below

Exposure Time = 1/750"

F Number = F8

Exposure Program = Normal program

ISO Speed Ratings = 200

Exif Version = Version 2.2

Exposure Bias Value = ±0EV

Max Aperture Value = F2.83

Metering Mode = Pattern

Light Source = unknown

Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode

Focal Length = 7.8mm

As for the shot it does not do too much for me (sorry) and I have been trying to see if there are any ways to crop that help but didn't come up with much. Having said that I mainly shoot sports so this is not my area of speciality and someone else might realise that I am completely crazy and wrong (which is not uncommon).

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:31 PM   #6

Thanks guys. Like I said, I'm a novice at this My photography normally consists of point and shoot, but only recently I've actually been taking into consideration the technical side of it.

It's all good.

Personally I think I like the pic. The clouds look pretty nice, and since it's my back yard, I like the rolling hills.

Perhaps I could have had something in the foreground to draw the eye... By the way, the full size pic looks nice as my wallpaper on my PC
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:57 PM   #7
Super Moderator

That's cool.... and it is good that you are wanting to move forward in photography.

Have a look at some books/articles on the web as this has helped me (some people here might disagree :blah but also keep posting and asking for advice as Steve's has been the best thing for me and I have been encouraged to more forwards to the stage where I am now making a little money from my photography.

Here is a good site to start with http://www.photozone.de/4Technique/compose/layer.htmand the page I have selected for you talks about layering a landscape.

Oh btw you have a great view from your garden.

Keep on shooting,

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 3:51 PM   #8

Howdy, Napalm:

I shot the jack rabbit pic in MY back yard. We have a lot of them out here, along with armadillos, racoons, all sorts of exotic deer, fantastic variety of birds, and ... lot o' rattlesnakes. The big sky and low hills in your picture could almost have been taken in my area! The scenery is very similar to south Texas.

Looking forward to seeing your re-shoot of the scene. Keep on postin'! Ria
Old Nov 16, 2006, 6:41 AM   #9

very fresh and clean looking shot

i don thtink the branches on the left add any value soi think maybe clone them out. Other than that i think its a great shot.

lovely tones and great location

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote