Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 14, 2006, 1:59 PM   #1

Hello, All:

Could someone please advise me on this street portrait? I am trying to get files ready to post on my web-site. The gentleman in question was quite sun-burned, as you can see.

1) Should I leave the skin tones as they are, (he was lobster-red!) or try to make them look more natural?

2) If so, how? I attempted to lower the red channel, but it washed out the entire portrait, and made the blond hair look unnatural.

3) Is there a quick, (easy!) rule of thumb on PP for web images? Should the color or contrast be different than a file optimized for print?

4) Any recommendations for inexpensive LCD color calibration? I use a PowerBook G4.

Any suggestions or critique would be most welcome. Cheers! Ria

Panny FZ4
F 4.5, ISO 64
Bright sunlight, no flash
Heavily cropped from original
Attached Images

RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:41 AM   #2

cool pic! I don't have any answers to your questions but I see you use a Mac .... you can't go wrong there!
drewaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 3:38 PM   #3

For the monitor calibration, you can try using the program Adobe Gamma. Its not as good as hardware calibration, but those are more expensive.

I think you should leave him beet red. I'm of the opinion that what you shoot should mostly stay the same. Little cosmetic things like taking out unwanted wires and blemishes are ok, but for the most part I think the sunburn is what makes this unique.

I use Elements 4 and thus don't have access to Channel Mixer, but I believe your red channel is going to have a BIG effect on brightness of the picture. Your blue channel will play with the darkness. You probably need to adjust your blue and green channels more than your red.

As far as optimizing for web and print, I think they are the same. If your monitor is calibrated, then web and print should look exactly the same. No need to adjust. The only other variable is your printer profile, and if you are not printing then don't worry about that. Calibrate your monitor and make the picture look how YOU want. Also, with web images you can probably go with a 72 or 100 PPI image instead of the 300 or so that you would need to print. Since monitors don't have the resolution that a printer has, you can get much smaller files and still have the same quality.

Christopher
cyancey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 9:18 PM   #4

I appreciate the detailed comments and info, Christopher. It was very helpful. My instinct was to leave the sun burn, but another friend of mine was totally against it; and he has a lot more digital experience. Taking in consideration that I have an LCD; do you or anyone else know if the hardware calibration works better enough to justify the cost?

(And, yes, DrewAZ, I definitely agree with your Mac preference ... especially when it comes to image processing.)

Thanks again, everybody! Ria
Old Nov 16, 2006, 6:23 AM   #5

i think its a cool shot

i did a quick edit of the skin tone. Very basic and easy]

let me know if this was the sorta look you were thinkin of

ken

Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:50 PM   #6

Thanks, Ken! The sunburn is played down, but I can see the "kiss" on his cheek much better now. If you have a minute, could you please tell me what function you used to adj. the color? Cheers! Ria
Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:32 PM   #7

RiaRia wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, Ken! The sunburn is played down, but I can see the "kiss" on his cheek much better now. If you have a minute, could you please tell me what function you used to adj. the color? Cheers! Ria
HiRia

no worries

i just used the replace colour fucntion. I selected thei middleish tone of red on his fae nd played with the hue and saturation. I also adjusted the fuzziness so it didnt hurt other parts of the image

very easy stuff.

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote