Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 23, 2006, 3:03 AM   #11

Paul, I love thematic works and yours qualify what I mean. I especially liked the last image you posted in which she looks like the daughter of Mother Goddess rather thana visitor there. Only you could fade the colour of her dress to be less distracting and I'd prefer it to the B&W version!

As a matter of fact, trying to catch the mostexpressive reflection of the soul on the face and the best fitting background is certainly not an easy matter to accomplish. So I do apreciate your effort here. Hope you try the same theme in the lush and mystic land where she was born and therefore bear many elements of it within...

Well done, mate!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:33 PM   #12

Mark,

Thanks for your kind comments and your great edit. I've REALLY gotta learn and apply more photoshop editting techiques... ah time and priorities are of the essence! Thanks though for your valuable inspiration!

---------------

Bahadir,

Glad you appreciate the thematic works as well as taking the words from my mouth.. how can I (as the adoring husband) not see my wife as a beauty! Actually your attention to detail picked up on one thing I had thought about - if the blue of her pullover might be distracting....

It's true as you said, attempting to capture inner beauty as well as having a appropriate composition / background are parts of such portrait challenges. Romania certainly has variety of landscapes as rights in themselves (for landscape) or as dramatic colours / backgrounds for outdoor people photos! We'll see what Australia brings!..

---------

Best regards and thanks to you both,

Paul (still smiling!)
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:25 AM   #13

Hi, Paul!

I really liked the picture of Tundi and the tree, both the color and the B&W conversion. She has such a sweet expression on her face, and the lower shooting angle works very well IMO.

The only thing I might suggest is that you lighten the near eye a bit ... on my monitor it appears almost totally black in the B&W edit. Perhaps, even add a catchlight?

I love natural light portraits, and these are beautiful examples. Thanks again for sharing them! Ria
RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:30 AM   #14

Mark - if you see this, would you mind sharing how you did your edit? It looks amazing! Ria
RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 3:34 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Hi Ria,

I use Paintshop Pro X so if you are using CS then there might be some differences. I can't remember the order that I did things but I used clone to bring some cheek colour to under the eyes and then used the makeover tool to bring smoothness into the skin and blend shadows from under the eyes while keeping some of the shape.

I know there are more clever ways of doing this and someone like Frank wouldbe best to tell you how (I would be interested to find out too).

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 7:39 AM   #16

Hi Ria (and Mark!)... and others!!

Ria, thanks for looking at my 2nd set of posts (Tundi and tree)... I tried to get a good composition, glad you noticed that - and thankfully yes Tundi's photogenic (but I'm so biased!!:-)). I agree that I could lighten a bit under her nearer eye... I don't have the time just now but... maybe soon. It doesn't look black on my monitor, but yes, it's a bit dark.

About edits, Mark thanks for sharing your knowledge, that's certainly helpful to know. Your edit work is effective. And Ria, here are a few links (that I've "favourited") fromKen (kenmck15from NZ), who I think does a GREAT job with people edits, and he kindly makes the time to also share his workflow.... So check out these links:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=5

Hope this is helpful (all credit to Ken for the links / explanations above!) I'm usually spending more time trying to get decent photos and learning about composition, though I want to improve my post processing skills too... Ahh time! :?

Best regards to you all.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote