Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 19, 2006, 1:57 PM   #1

Hello all!

Some weeks ago I was in a peaceful forest area and took some photos of my wife, using my Canon 50mm f1.8 lens on my Canon 350D / XT. It's both a fun lens to use and also in such low light conditions (the trees still had their leaves back then...) it's a lens which allows handheld portraits (as I didn't have my tripod with me).

This photo was one of my favourite of the "forest photo session". Taken at f2.5, 50mm.

I have not done much post processing, just some highlight / shadows, colour improvement, sharpening and then some "noise removal". Actually I took this photo at ISO 1600 (I had previously taken a shot of a tree which was darker, hence I had needed the high ISO and silly me forgot to turn it back to ISO 400).... But thanks to Noiseware and anyway Canon's low noise levels, it was quite "recoverable"!

Do any of you have comments / suggestions / improvements? Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2006, 6:17 AM   #2

I decided to add this second photo to this thread, as it still fits the "forest portrait" title. Though I have to admit this 2nd photo was not taken with my prime lens, but with my 28-135mm Canon lens.

The technique and composition in both are quite different, so I'd like your feedback about both, and suggestions for change / improvement, and which one you might like better and why. (btw, this 2nd photo was taken in Greece, near a waterfall end of September...)

Thanks all!

Paul
Attached Images

Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:39 AM   #3

Hi, Paul:

I think that both of these portraits are wondeful! Your wife is beautiful, and her beauty is only accented by the love in her eyes, (especially in the first one). Her expression in the second one near the waterfall is so animated. You are going to have the honeymoon album of a lifetime, IMO!

The only thing that bothered me, and it is admittedly just a matter of taste, would be that although I love the angle of her head, it exagerrates the "pouffiness" of the hair at the back and distorts the lovely lines a bit. I hope you don't mind, but that I sliced off a bit of her head to illustrate what I meant. Thanks for sharing! Ria
Attached Images

RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:44 AM   #4

Thinking about the 1.8 50 mm. made me nostalgic for the good ol' days when I had a B&W darkroom and it was my favorite lens. I still have it tucked away for the day I move to a Digital SLR ...

My PS B&W skills aren't very developed yet, but I couldn't resist trying to see what would happen if I tried to do a conversion on your wife's pic - (not that it needed any improvement!) Thanks, Ria

Attached Images

RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:25 PM   #5

lovely range of shot

yea, i havent got arnd to buying my 50mm f1.8 but love the end results here

nice

ken

RIa - great edits

love the b&w
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:56 AM   #6

Hi Ria!

Thanks for yourcomments, interest and great edits! I'm very grateful my wife is so photogenic... thanks for your acknowledging she takes a good photo :-)!

I also love her expression in the first photo. The 2nd photo was quite a quick "snap" near a waterfall... (not as "composed / planned" as the first one).

Your observation and appropriate edit to remove the "pouffiness" of her hair at the back was well done. I was actually also a bit distracted by that part of the photo, but maybe wasn't brave enough to take the "cropping knife" to my wife's photo... but you've proved it can be done well! Thanks

The B&W conversion is also a great touch..... and yes I could imagine bringing nostaglic feelings of the "good ol' days" of film with your 50mm 1.8. Thanks again.

Paul

Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:58 AM   #7

G'day Ken!

Thanks for looking and commenting... your comments (and edits, as well as your "edit techniques for dummies" are always SO appreciated!)

I'm sure you'll love the 50mm f1.8 lens when you might get it. It's a fun lens indeed, especially so for the great price.. and of course we're all looking forward to more shots of yours here...

Catch you later.

Paul
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:21 AM   #8

And just to fill out the series... here is another photo of my wife Tundi from the "first" forest photo session...againat f2.5 with my 50mm Canon prime lens. Ria's help inspired me to add this one (thanks Ria!)

Paul
Attached Images

Old Nov 22, 2006, 3:05 AM   #9

and just before anyone else beats me to it... here is a b&w version of the above photo... what do you think?

Thanks for looking all, your feedback and help is appreciated!

Paul
Attached Images

Old Nov 22, 2006, 8:54 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Hey Paul,

Nice work and some good edits by others as well.

Here is a quick edit where I have removed the darkness under the eyes and added a little softness as well.

Hope you like it.

Mark
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote