Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 19, 2006, 9:57 PM   #1

G'day all,

haven't posted in a while. So firstly hey to Paul, hope your'e doing well mate

Righteo here is a shot I took about two weeks ago now, based loosly on a theme of what's above our heads. It was processed as a HDR of sorts and the idea was to have these two huge masts from a sailing ship stretching up into the sky and touching the clouds. There was purposefully no other part of the ship. As background noise and clutter would have distracted from the shot.

Anyway tell me what you all think. This is a single shot used to make a HDR, not several exposures like normal.

Ollie

Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2006, 4:01 AM   #2

Hi Ollie!

Thanks for this interesting photo. I must say it DOES have a HDR type of look to it? Will you be sharing any secrets as to how you produced effect? :?Did you use highlight and shadows or other tools? The sun is of course blown out, but the clouds and hues of blues in the sky are very special.

I like your original idea. It's a hard one to convey though.... I can understand there could be too much clutter if you would've included the boat, other parts, etc... though I do feel the two masts and the diagonal angled rope a bit "lost" without some "anchor points" (excuse the pun!)

Paul

PS, thanks for asking mate, I'm well. Hope to catch up with you personally soon next year...
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 6:53 AM   #3

You know I never really thought about the lines coming down from the masts. Guess I had more emphasis on the glaring midday sun. And yeah the sun is blown but purposefully so.

Secrets to do it. Well shadows/highlights a little. Some layers and levels and a neat little command that selects subjects with a brightness above 50% ctrl+alt+` on the keyboard. And just general playing around.

Hope that helps. I think......And yes Pj next year a beer or two and a camera shot or two as well

Ollie
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote