Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 23, 2006, 3:37 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Here is the 100% crop
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 3:38 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Here is the same shot with Unsharp Mask (USM) applied.
Attached Images

Old Nov 24, 2006, 9:19 AM   #13

Hi Mark, Ok here I go, I'll try to download a cropped part of my picture for you to take a look at. I really appreciate your help. I hope this downloads ok, sometimes I don't get it right.
Attached Images

fingo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:25 PM   #14

Hi Fingo (& Mark)

I'll quickly butt in and give my try... a 2 minute edit. I applied some highlight / shadow tool (to reduce bright spots, and bring shadows back a bit closer / visible). Then the USM (unsharp mask). I think the result is a bit better than your crop of the original, Fingo... what do you think?

The lighting of this photoIS quite harsh, (bright sunlight on side of faces, and maybe some lens flare... possibly some sunlight across the front of the lens... as you're almost shooting in the direction of the sun).

Still, hope you like my quick edit. Best of luck... let us know how you go with things.

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:36 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Paul is right, you were working in difficult lighting conditions which will have affected the results but they are not all that soft really considering the lens is probably as wide (low f stop) as it can be at that length which will not give the best quality. For me Paul's edit has a little too much USM applied so (but we are all different) so here is my try. Not sure how good the colours are on the one that I have done as I am still stuck with my work laptop which I have not managed to configure too well.

Regards,

Mark
Attached Images

Old Nov 24, 2006, 4:57 PM   #16

Hi Paul and Mark, I just got home and checked out your touch up of my photo. They both look a lot better than mine. But, the good news is , that today I got a great deal on Elements 5. The bad news is I'm going to have to get a better computer. I only have a pentium 3, it says a Pentium 4 is needed,but I was going to get a new one anyway. I'm going to find a place around here that teaches Photoshop and take a course. Hopefully I'll soon be able to post somebetter pics. I'll think I'll need some L lenses to, if I stay with Canon equipment.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 6:06 PM   #17
Super Moderator

That's good news (although not about the computer) however I didn't think the minimum specs needed a P4 but will take your word for it. As for L Glass, I don't have any on my shopping list at the moment, I have used Sigma for years and the quality I am getting from them is very good indeed. I would say moving from one camera manufacturer to another should be the last thing to do as it is generally expensive and the gains are not always that big. However I did move from Konica Minolta (now Sony) as I need to get higher quality lenses and the options were just not there in KM/Sony so Canon was my choice.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 1:42 PM   #18

Hi Mark, as I said in an earlier post, a camera with internal IS would help me I think. Also, the Rebel XT is really small in grip which doesn't help much to control for shakiness in my hands. I'm debating several options.

Regards,

Jerry (fingo18)
Old Nov 25, 2006, 4:48 PM   #19
Super Moderator

If you find that shake is a problem then yes switching systems to Sony or Pentax might be worthwhile especially if you don't have a lot of lenses that you need to sell. I also agree that the grip on the XT is a bit small so would suggest having a play with your prospective new toys to see what is best.

Looking forward to hearing what you decide to do and to see more shots.

Mark