Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 19, 2006, 9:54 PM   #1

Well, I'll try again to post the other photo I wanted to be critiqued.
Attached Images

fingo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2006, 3:10 AM   #2

fingo18 wrote:
Quote:
Well, I'll try again to post the other photo I wanted to be critiqued.
Hi Fingo!

I've noticed you've posted a few photos recently... and welcome to this forum too.

A bit of my 2 cents worth. I like the intimate / loving and yet open feeling this photo conveys. I'm sure the 2 smiles are worth 1000 words EACH!It's a precious photo.

Technical wise some thoughts: often photos look good with the subject/s positioned around a THIRD in the photo (to the left / right or bottom / top). "Often". Not always.

Also, it's usually best to leave MORE space in the direction people's bodies are facing and less space at their "back" (hope this makes sense).

Her shoes (and the rock) seem "blown out" (too white / bright) to me, and direct / bright sun can make this difficult to avoid. And while their faces are in sun-light (and thus shadows under the eyes, nose, etc) - it actually doesn't seem too bad to me. After all this is an outdoor portrait, not a "studio shot".

Hope some of my comments were / are helpful. Thanks for sharing.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 4:01 PM   #3

Hi Paul, thanks for the comments. I want totake better pictures, and peoples thoughts are very helpful. I have other posts in the canon slr posts. I am not happy with the sharpness or quality of the picture coming from the camera. People have told me on this site that practically all of the pics on here get some king of manipulation by Photoshop etc. So I am going to get photoshop elements and hopefully everything will get better. I also have some nervous shakiness in my hands, so I'm thinking of selling my rebel xt and getting a new camera with image stabilization in the camera, therefore all lenses will be stabilized. Thanks again for you reply.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 5:55 AM   #4

Fingo,

Glad you appreciated my comments and hopefully they were helpful. It's good you want to learn and use people's input too. I'm still learning lots all the time, and people on this forum help a lot.

Sorry in my post above I wasn't accurate, the sun-light creates a shadow over the whole front of their faces (part of the side of their faces in sunlight) and I think this is why it is not so bad / distracting!

It's true that sharpening and often a bit of other post processing brings out the best in DSLR photos... I had to learn that lesson too. But by having a good workflow (many programs have automatic / batch adjustments / settings that the user can apply) it's not a big problem or lots of time at the end of the day, if you use it systematically.

Getting a camera with in built image stabilization certainly is helpful for reducing hand shake / "shake effects". There is a debate as to whether "in lens" stabilisation or "in camera" is slightly / more effective, but certainly COST-wise in camera is a good option! I wish you all the best.

Hope you don't mind..... but I took the liberty of editting your photo a bit and doing a crop, what do you think?By the way I love the way the water flows / cascades down and along the rocks in the background, it's a very appropriate composition to match the subjects (people!)

Best regards,

Paul
Attached Images

Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:40 AM   #5

Hi pj1974, yes I like what you have done to the picture. I'm anxious to get photoshop elements and learn how to use it properly. As I've stated in other posts, I am not satisfied with the sharpness/pop of my photos with the Rebel XT. I see so many pictures on this website and others that really pop with color and clarity. They look really professional , like in magazines with really sharp definition and color. Even with the picture you touched up of mine, it's not really sharply defined. I know you can't bring something out that's not there, and mine are not sharp:!:Thanks for yourhelp.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:50 AM   #6

Fingo,

I'm glad you like what I have done to your photo... hopefully it's a bit of an improvement. I couldn't bring much more sharpness because yourposted photo was quite small...

Maybe with shakiness of your hands, a tripod would be of real benefit (maybe even moreso than a camera with built in IS (or lenses with IS). A tripod ensures a steady camera and that's often so important for clear photo. There are many tripods (sizes, shapes and weights) around. I think you'll find one to suit you and your budget.

But still post processing IS important to bring out the best (even from a tripod taken photo taken from the best DSLR camera!) I hope you'll enjoy the learning curve.

Paul
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:17 AM   #7

Hi Paul, I do have an old Star D tripod left over from my 35mm days. It would have been really awkward to have carried it down the rocky banks of that location. And since I'm getting older, that would have made it even harder to do. I want really good quality pics, so I guess I'll have to sell my rebel xt and 2 lenses even tho they are only about 6 mos. old. If it takes getting a camera with IS, then that's what I'll do. The canon IS lenses are really expensive and since that is only IS in one lens, I think the in camera set-up gives the best deal. All lenses used would be IS. Thanks for your reply and helpful information.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:30 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Hi Fingo,

I personally would not be looking to see your kit as that gets expensived. The shot you took was at 1/80th which is plenty fast enough for the focal lenght you were using (47mm) so it is not down to shake from what I can see. I would be interested to see a portion of a photo at without it being reduced in size so I can see what you have straight out of the camera. A dSLR such as the XT will give a soft image straight out of it and then all of us use software to pick up the quality. You can up the sharpness in the camera but software on a PC will do it better without increasing the noise you get with in camera sharpening. Another way you can get better quality is using RAW however I don't use this for any of my work at the moment and regularly sell 15"x10" prints.

I don't think Paul applied any USM (unsharp mask) to the shot he edited, so I have done it for you. As you can see this makes quite a bit of difference, but as Paul did say we are working with a small shot to start with.

Mark
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 2:33 AM   #9

Hi Mark, I will try to load the picture again and not downsize it. As I understood it, we are supposed to resize them to a smaller size. I think I read that from someone on this site. Anyway, it's getting late (3:31 AM) so I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 3:34 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Rather than posting the full picture take a small section so I can see the quality without going over size such as the examples below.

This is the full image reduced so that it can posted here.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote