Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:42 AM   #1

Taken with my macro lens adaptor and processed just today.

Let me know what you all think.

Ollie

Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:28 AM   #2

Hi Ollie!

Well, to be honest, I just don't know what to make of this one. It's colours are something very special, for some reason it gives me the feel (colourwise) of almost an expensive film / medium format look.

But the dof (depth of field) just doesn't compliment it (IMHO). The bigger open blossom (facing us, in the centre) is quite, good, but it doesn't look "tack sharp" and the smaller (closed) bud on the right is just "half out of focus" (sort of thing)... And at the same time there just doesn't seem to be enough difference between the background - like maybe not ENOUGH blur... not enough "out of focus" (oof)....

I dunno... I applaud you on the attempt, and I don't think I could've done better... I'm just not sure... Maybe it's also too busy (too much infocus / almost subjects) to take in....

Still, maybe others have better and different opinions ormore informed critiques!

Paul

PS edit... and yeah (sorry to say) there seem a few noticeable CA's (Chromatic abberations) which are distracting on some "petal lines").... PJ

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 8:45 AM   #3

Yup you are right about the abberations. The lens adaptor that I put on the end of my main lens is fairly thick like a magnifying glass and it gives that effect to outside areas of focus. So the central section stays focused by the outer areas get affected.

I think maybe a little more blur could have been used to give it more contrast, this is true, however I didn't actually touch when I processed it. This is a hand held shot that I took quickly. I might head across the road and take a few more. Maybe plan it more and choose more carefully the flowers I shoot.

What do others think??

Ollie

ps: oh yeah the further I zoom out with the lens the more the abberations are noticed hence why they are more prominent in this shot, however they make some shots look pretty cool depends on background.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 4:18 AM   #4

I agree with some of Paul's comments. The half-in-half-out of focus of some of the off centre elements are a bit distracting. I would prefer the central flower in focus and everything else out of focus, but I can see that would be difficult with the distribution of flowers in the pic.

Cheers,
Ollie
Ollie@Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 5:01 PM   #5

Ok guys what do you think of this version. Took it back to the processing block and redid it somewhat. Added more background blur and reduced some of the small blown areas as well as I could. The shot is a lot more softer now and the main flower has been moved to the front alot more as well.

Ollie

Old Nov 24, 2006, 8:33 PM   #6

Yeah, much better

Ollie
Ollie@Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:05 AM   #7

Hi Ollie(77)!

I have to agree with ALL of Ollie(@Oz's) comments.

Quote: "Yeah, much better "

It's a much more powerful and eye-catching blend of colours and infocus & oof (out of focus) parts.

Well done with the edit (also the crop)! Didthe total re-edittake long?

Catch ya l8r.

Paul

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 7:58 PM   #8

G'day guys,

ok the re-edit took me about 5mins to do. A couple of layers and working out what levels had to be adjusted and what then needed to be blurred more.

Glad that you all like it.

Ollie