Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 28, 2006, 7:04 AM   #1

Hello all!

This is one of my all time favourite close-ups, another photo taken from my recent honeymoon in Greece (I hope you are not all yet getting bored of my Greece / honeymoon photos!)

One of the first days we were in Greece we went to visit a waterfall area. There was a light rain while we walked to the falls, but it stopped later. At the bottom of the falls, near the pool, I noticed this grasshopper sitting on a leaf (and it had one of its big "jump legs" missing).

So I carefully tried to get as close as I could without disturbing the insect (or the plant it was sitting on). I attempted to get the best depth of field and composition as I could (before it might jump away of course!), and I managed to snap this photo. I was very pleased with the result which I saw later on my laptop at the camping site we were staying at.

This photo was taken with my Canon 350D / Rebel XT with its kit lens... at 55mm, f11, 1/400 sec, ISO 800. Well, I think this is proof that an entry level DSLR and a "cheap" kit lens, decent results can still be obtain (at least I like it, but hey, I'm biased...) So that's why I'm asking for your opinions..!

The water drops on the leaf as well as the fact that the photo is naturally framed by the two other leaves are features I think that add to this composition. And because I was close enough to the insect, the foilage in the background became (what in my opinion is) a lovely green blur (I like the bokeh).

So, what do YOU think?

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2006, 7:51 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi Paul,

I like this shot and I'm impressed you manged to get so close with the 55mm lens. Good work!!!

Iwas not so sure about the angle of the leaf he was sitting on so tried a couple of things and then decide to doa little more but cutting out the leaf with the grasshopper on then rotated, put over the background of the original, applied gaussian blur to the original and then softened the tip of the main leaf to make it look as if it is a little more out of focus and this was the result.

What do you think?

Mark
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:33 PM   #3

very nice and sharp shot

i quite like the edit with the softened backing

nice

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 2:28 AM   #4

Hi Mark!

Thanks for your wonderful and interesting edit. You're quite the edit / PS guru I think! It's certainly a different perspective, you did it very well. Though I've got to admit I also (still) like the original as it sort of gives that "peering through the nature to an insect" feeling (which it was in reality!)

But I love your edit too! Especially the blurring of the tip of the leaf (I thought that would have been helpful in the original too!)

Cheers

Paul

Old Nov 29, 2006, 2:29 AM   #5

kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
very nice and sharp shot

i quite like the edit with the softened backing

nice

ken
Thanks Ken! Always appreciate your kind comments and feedback..

Yeah, it's a sharp shot (and I'm glad with the 55mm kit lens I was able to get it without it jumping off!)

Paul
Old Nov 29, 2006, 3:56 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Thanks Paul, I really would not say I am a guru, I just like playing around to get different effects, and to learn a little more. It wasn't designed to distract from the original rather to give you some ideas as you say with a bit more time you would like to try other things. :-)
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 5:57 AM   #7

Hi Mark, Thanks for what you wrote!

It's good you can enjoy playing around with different effects, and we can all benefit from the outcome (even the original poster!). I'm fully aware you didn't want to distract from the original, though thanks for saying!

Again, thanks for looking and your edit / take on it! I like it.

Paul
Old Dec 2, 2006, 9:07 AM   #8

Hello,

The photo is really wonderful, but I have a question how did you do that in the photo there isn't any noise? you were using 800 ISO,right? Please answer?
outermost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 6:42 AM   #9

Hi Outermost,

Firstly welcome to the forums!

Thanks for looking at my photo and commenting, that you like it.

It's true, that I took this shot at ISO 800. My camera (Canon 350D) is great at producing low noise photos, even at high ISO. but it's true, I did use a "noise eliminating" programme to reduce the noise that was there, mostly noticeable in the green background.

There are several around, and some free / trial options too. Neat image, Noiseware, Noise Ninja, and some others. Do a google search and you'll find some answers!

All the best

Paul