Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 28, 2006, 9:19 AM   #1

I would really like some CC on this picture 400 ISO, External Flash, f5.6, 1/125 shutter, kit lens 18-70 taken at 70 MM The light in the reception hall was awful.

I'm afraid that my pictures are going to be the only decent pictures the photographer was using a point and shoot Sony with a funky external flash set up.

Attached Images

Sneezy1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2006, 1:41 PM   #2
Super Moderator

This has come out well and the flash was not overpowering which can be a big problem. I'm pleased you used 70mm as it has given a very good result. All to often people use to wide a lens when shooting portrait.

Are you saying the paid photog was not using a SLR, dSLR or medium format????

Oh congratulations to you son, they look very happy!!!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 2:12 PM   #3

Yep that's what I'm saying. The parents spent a fortune on a sit down meal but skimpped where it really mattered on the pictures. And I didn't take any in the church because I didn't want to be in the way.

Now I wish I had because I have a feeling I'm as good a photographer as she is and I consider myself a rank amateurrthe best.

Thanks for the CC I'm not real happy with her arm up but they were dancing and I didn't want to interupt them I just took a shot when they turned towards me and smiled ::|

Old Nov 29, 2006, 2:14 PM   #4
Super Moderator

The arm might not be perfect, but it is at least natural and you have captured them looking very happy. What other shots did you get of the day?
Old Nov 29, 2006, 2:20 PM   #5

I've not converted all of them to jpeg yet I'm still working on that. I shot raw with a Sony A100. You can see some of the ones that are cleaned up at Flickr. I hope it's ok that I posted the link it's not like I selling anything

Thank you again for the CC I'm learning as you can tell and I love having CC to make me better
Old Nov 29, 2006, 2:24 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Cool, and no the link is fine. I often include on to my site when I have posted a new event www.photographysmith.co.uk etc.

I will have a look now at the others.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 2:35 PM   #7

OH my your photos are amazing I could spend all day looking at the cars! I've bookmarked so I can take a closer look when I'm not at work! WOW!
Old Nov 29, 2006, 6:56 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Thanks Sneezy..... as you can tell I like shooting sports :-)

You have some good shots on your with one that I would say is very strong....... which one you are asking yourself....... I'm sure the tension is mounting........ OK I will tell you....... it is........ the....... Water Lilly!!! Good composition, exposure and sharpness on this one. I also like the Niagara shots as it is a place I would love to go.

Looking forward to seeing more posts from you.

Mark
Old Nov 29, 2006, 8:36 PM   #9

Oh if you think any of mine are strong I'm amazed I have so much to still learn. It has been a strong strong learning curve.

I really love taking pictures and I'm an avid scrapbooker. I know what I like I'm just trying to figure out how to get what I like

I just keep plugging away maybe some day I'll be even 1/3rd as good as you! Your work is totally amazing! Just amazing I don't know what I like the best the cars, the horses the rugby I'm amazed at what you have done!

Wow you do some of the most fabulous work!
Old Nov 29, 2006, 8:45 PM   #10
Super Moderator

You are too kind...... I (like most people here) am a keen amateur trying to slowly move into making money from my work. I have learnt loads over the past year and a bit since being on this forum (I wish I had found it earlier). Each time I shoot I try to learn something so I can improve next time and also look at pro's work and the top stock image libraries to see what others are producing. As for the Rugby this was my first ever attempt at it and it is OK but hope to get timing and angles better. Before going to shoot it I had a good look at the rugby shots on Getty Imageswhich was a big help.

You will be amazed how quickly you will improve by trail and error, posting here and getting advice, but my main 3 ways to improve are practise, practise, practise. Also don't be afraid to try different things, don't forget it is digital, if it doesn't work it has cost you basically nothing, if it does then you have improved a bit more.

Happy shooting,

Mark