Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 17, 2006, 5:14 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Jackco what camera are you shooting with? As you will be usually quite close then you will be shooting quite wide angle so an aperture of f5.6 seems to work well for me and gives quite a lot of room for distance changes (however I have gone to f7.1). If they are coming straight towards you then I actually move backwards with the movement so that distance remains the same/similar. With my Canon 30D the AF is quick and I have tried in both one shot and AI Servo and I get a similar success rate.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 9:30 PM   #12

Those are both very original and creative. I especially like the one with the dancers surrounding the subject. It puts context in otherwise boring shots (that people ordinarily take).
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:27 PM   #13

I am using a D70s. I'll give the AI servo mode a try

Great photos and techniques!
Jackco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 4:06 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Thanks CGL, I love doing something different from the norm.

Jackco - You should be able to do it no problem with D70. Another option is to pre-focus and then shoot when the subjects get to that distance away. Also as long as you have an external flash you should be able to get 2 or 3 off in continuous which will help to nail some of them.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 8:01 AM   #15

Amazing shot's and great technique, I'm just glad I saw this post.
Thanks Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 3:54 PM   #16

Mark as always I'm amazed at your shoots if I ever do anything even 1/2 as outstanding as yours I'll feel like I've accomplished a lot.

I love the motion you captured and your main focus is still just crystal sharp!
Sneezy1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 6:12 PM   #17
Super Moderator

Ronny and Sneezy, thanks for your kind words...... Sneezy, you will have to be careful as if you keep saying things so positive I will struggle to get out of my lounge!!! LOL. I think it comes down to the same old thing, there is always someone better than you...... I know as I look through these forums and other sites that there are peoples work that I would love to get even close to. I'm pleased how I have improved over the past few years and it still is practise, practise, practise as well as self and 3rd party critiquing. Also read articles on websites and look at the work of people you would like to emulate. Before shooting a new sport I always look at Getty to see what the Pros are selling. For this technique I got it from a pro who was covering our yearly sales conference when we all go to New Jersey. I always try to chat to people on location who really know what they are doing so I can learn something new. Most photogs like to talk about their work aslong as they don't think you will be encroaching on their business (as I'mfrom England the guy in NJ knew he was pretty safe). Lastly don't be afraid to try something new (don't forget we are in the digital world so a shot costs as good as nothing), if it doesn't work then you have lost nothing but if it does then you have something to build on in the future.

Happy shooting :|
Old Dec 20, 2006, 8:58 PM   #18

Mark you are always so upbeat and helpful! I am getting ready to post a sunset photo I took for Critique. But, I truly do love your work it has it's own special quality that no one else catches!
Sneezy1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 5:18 PM   #19

Mark i think these are Fanastic...I wish i could take Pictures half as good!!

Thanks for all your help in the Past!!
wrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 3:06 PM   #20

Just bumping this to show some result from your inspiration:

This was taken at a meal with some friends on New Years Eve.
Attached Images

Plankton is offline   Reply With Quote