Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 1, 2006, 6:33 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Hi all,

It's getting to being party season and I have recently covered a couple (a corporate do and a barn dance) so thought I would post a fewphotos to give you some ideas for different party shots.

Those here who know my work will be aware that I like capturing movement in my shots so why should the partyscene be any different.

To get the results seen here you will need to be able to control your camera and you will get better shots if you have an external flash as the added power is helpful.

Thegeneral settings I use for these are: manual mode, 1/5th - 1/8th (the more ambient light the higher the shutter speed I will use), f3.5 - f5.6, rear sync flash (not essential but I like the results slightly better than the flash firing on the front curtain). As I am working with slower shutter speeds then more ambient light is captured so I will make sure the camera is moving, either with the movement of the person or in a circular movement (I always move the camera anti-clockwise with the axis point being roughly the centre of the frame but it does not matter which way you rotate). Just before the shutter closes again the flash fires freezing the subject (hopefully nice and sharp) while retaining the background movement.

If anyone has any other ideas/examples for interesting party shots feel free to add them in. Also feel free to let me know what you think of these and ways that I can improve.

Mark

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2006, 2:48 AM   #2

these shots are great! can my canon S2 do these? i love the the motion, yet the subjects are so clear! did you do any PP on these?
asr dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 5:30 AM   #3
Super Moderator

You should be able to get something along the lines of these with the S2 as you have the following features on the camera (according to Steve's review)

Flash Sync - 1st-curtain (leading) or 2nd-curtain (trailing) flash sync
Slow Synchro - Enable or disable slow sync flash mode

You need to enable slow sync and also I would choose 2nd curtain but you can do in on 1st. Select manual mode and try a selection of slow shutter speeds and a low (ish) f stop so you let light in easily. I think the biggest limiting factor is going to be the strength of the inbuilt flash as you need the power to freeze the action.

As for the PP, I didn't do any (apart from cropping) on the first 3. Number 4 was too dark as there was a lot of white around my subject so the metering got slightly messed up and not enough flash was fired (I don't control the flash manually I leave that on auto). The ones of the barn dance I played with the levels as the lighting was awkward so needed to 'fix' them. I generally find the darker it is the easier the camera copes with the situation.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 7:44 AM   #4

Excellent pictures Mark.. and as usual accompanied with loads of tips and 'how to' suggestions. Really like the way you have created the movement in the pictures.

Thanks for sharing..

Poul
Poul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 2:58 PM   #5

some very cool effects

i lke it

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 3:21 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Poul and Ken thanks for your kind words, I always like doing something a little different.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 2:04 PM   #7

Awesome. Just tested out a similar setting in my room (with my hand as the subject ). Great thread.
Plankton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 8:23 PM   #8

Mark, these are just fantastic. Thank you so much for the detailed instructions. Can't wait to try them out for myself. Cheers! Ria
RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 4:53 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Plankton and Ria, thanks for your comments. I'm now waiting to see how people get on trying this technique.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 4:42 PM   #10

Hi Mark,

Great Technique, superb photos.

I cant seem to be able to keep the subject in focus when I move the camera.

Do you have any recommendation how I can keep them in focus?

Thanks.
Jackco is offline   Reply With Quote