Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 20, 2006, 9:03 PM   #1

This is almost SOC ISO 800, f5.6, shutter 1/50 Only change made was to convert to JPG and run it through noise Ninja.
Attached Images

Sneezy1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:28 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi Sneezy,

Looks like you have a nice view from the back of your house and this has the makings of a good shot.

One problem often found with sunsets is that they don't have the punch that you would like however this can easily be fixed with a little PP. I hope you don't mind but I have done a little edit below.I have boosted the saturation in all channels (done for speed), usually I would select relevant channels to get the result I want but this has done OK, I have also cropped the bottom as I don't think that was adding anything to your photo. Lastly I reduced brightness and increased contrast then applied some USM to pick up the outlines and that is it.

Mark
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:40 AM   #3

Wow! Ok give me some lessons please I would love to know how you did that.

I'm just learning photoshop I am reading everything I can find but still don't understand it that well. You made a decent photo WOW!!!!!
Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:49 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I'm not a photoshop user which probably won't help you too much as I can't show you where the tools actually are (I use Paintshop Pro - or in other words too cheap/can't affordto buy Photoshop). They are quite simple tools and I know that they are found in Photoshop, if you do a search under the help section then you should be able to find Saturation (for increasing the colours) and brightness/contrast (for doing exactly what they say on the tin). I would usually have use curves for the brightness and contrast but as it was just a quick edit went of the less editable but faster (slightly) brightness/contrast option. USM is Unsharp Mask and this is the standard way for getting good sharp results. Most of us will do this as the very last part of the process and depending on the size of the photo the settings will vary. However usual settings would be 1, 100, 0 (I can't remember the name of each section but when you find it you will see what I mean. Again have a play around and see how varying the settings change the finished result.

I only know the basics needed to give a photo a lift, if you look at some peoples work in here it is amazing what they can do with PP so I keep trying to learn.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 9:10 AM   #5

Thanks Mark I have photoshop through work One of the advantages of working at a college. I also have Paint Shop Pro.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 5:45 PM   #6

I would use Levels in PSE1 to get rid of the dull gray look.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 6:17 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Wow are you really still using PSE1 (Photoshop Elements 1 for those who don't know)...... if you can afford it you will find so many new nice features in PSE4/5 or in Paintshop Pro X or XI...... if you have a lot of spare cash then CS2 is the way to go.

Sneezy you are fortunate that you get it through the college, I only get Office through my work all you need now is the time to master it then you can teach me :-):blah:
Old Dec 21, 2006, 6:30 PM   #8

LOL!!! Now Mark you are totally dreaming! I have a new grandbaby coming I won't have time to learn anything but learning to take pictures of her. Of course she will be12 hours away So I'll be making some rather long road trips!

Thank you for all your kind words, I hope I can continue to imporve
Old Dec 23, 2006, 8:55 PM   #9

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Wow are you really still using PSE1 (Photoshop Elements 1 for those who don't know)...... if you can afford it you will find so many new nice features in PSE4/5 or in Paintshop Pro X or XI...... if you have a lot of spare cash then CS2 is the way to go.

Sneezy you are fortunate that you get it through the college, I only get Office through my work all you need now is the time to master it then you can teach me :-):blah:
Hey, don't snicker, I still use PSE1 since my computer chokes on CS2 (512MB RAM and a 2.5Ghz Celeron does not make for a great editing machine but I can't afford an upgrade for a while).

Ira

http://www.aicphotography.blogspot.com/
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote