Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 25, 2006, 2:02 PM   #1

Various PP was used to get the magical look for our Christmas Scene. Let me know what you all think. Thanks.
Attached Images

phlip16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2006, 2:58 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I like that PP you have done on this and it has given it the feel you were looking for. The only thing that distracts from this is that the shot is not quite straight once fixed it will be one good piece of work.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 1:55 AM   #3

Thanks, Mark. I did think about the very same thing. However, the tree is leaning slightly to the left and the room is leaning slightly to the right. If I fixed either one it would look a lot more lopsided. I'm not good enough with PS to fix both:?
phlip16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 2:23 PM   #4

Here's how to do it quickly in CS2. I think it'll work in CS as well, but probably nothing earlier.

Select the crop tool and click the "front image" button at the top of the screen. This will make your selection the same aspect ratio (shape) as the whole picture.

Draw a rectangle somewhat smaller than the whole picture, then click and drag outside of the rectangle to rotate. Line it up with the seams in the walls. Hit enter or the checkmark when it looks about right.

If it looks good, continue on. If not, undo and try again.

Make sure you have your rulers on. If they aren't, hit ctrl-R.

Drag a guide from the left ruler and place it at around the center of the base of tree.

Select the entire image (ctrl-A).

Transform the selection (ctrl-T).

While in transform, look at the top of the screen for a button that looks kind of like a sad face. It's to the left of the checkmark and the circle with a line through it. Click that button.

This puts you in warp mode. It allows you to make curved transforms to the image. Click on the star of the tree and drag it to the right until it looks straight. Be careful not to drift downward as it leave a sliver along the top edge (edit: as you can see on this one as it was done too hastily :sad.

Here's the result:
Attached Images

Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 2:24 PM   #5

I wasn't entirely happy with the slant in the curtains, so I made a large box selection around the left curtains, centered around the part that was sticking out:

Attached Images

Old Dec 29, 2006, 2:26 PM   #6

And warped it the same way I warped the tree. As long as you only warp the middle (and not warp it too much), the edges of the selection won't be affected.

It would of course be wiser to copy the selection and work on it on a separate layer, but it's probably not even necessary.
Attached Images