Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:14 AM   #1

Thought I'd try black and white, but I'm feeling at a loss, both with what will make a good b&w subject, and then how to handle contrast. This is about the best one I've managed so far and I'm not sure what made this better - the subject isn't exactly exciting. What do you think and where should I go from here?
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2006, 2:07 PM   #2

Harriet

I think this image is a good one to practice on with a good range of tones from pure white to deep black and many in between. This rendering looks very good.

I would use the white eyedropper in levels to set the white point and then the black where I think it should be black before I convert to black and white. I downloaded your image and played with it but I could not significantly improve on the image, good work.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 5:20 PM   #3

Interesting suggestion, I did it the other way around, thinking that since I didn't care about the color/wb, the order wouldn't matter. I desaturated it first, then used levels to adjust the dark/light to what I thought looked best.

I tried it your way, it was definitely easier and made a slight difference with the contrast - thanks for the suggestion, it's easier. Here's the second attempt.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:09 PM   #4

Glad I could be of some help. I haven't used the DS much over the Christmas break since we seem to be out visiting every night and the daytimes are a little cold (about -10 degrees celsius this week) so I have been using my Fuji S7000 as my party camera. I hope to get some new images to post over the next few days.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote