Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 30, 2006, 10:20 AM   #1

:?I purchased the pro9000 in hopes of printing 11x14 photographs,But with out success. Here is what I have tried. I have went into the printing preferences, main page selected Glossy photo paper,front tray and auto feeder, print quality high and fast and custom.......Then went into page set up selecting page size 11x14 also 11x14 default and custom. Then selected printer paper size 11x14 also 11x14 default along with custom. And then onto printing profiles where I added the 11x14 paper size in the profile along with 11x14 custom in profiles. Of course I tried useing these various settings in one group at a time such as,

the main page set on,glossy photo paper setting

page set up ,set on 11x14 on both place settings

profiles page set on 11x14

With no luck. Can anyone help ? I should also mention that the printer is set up on a dummy computer that is not hooked up to the internet.

soldiers2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2006, 10:52 AM   #2

You told us everything except what happens when you print. It just doesn't print? Smokes? What?

I presume you have cropped the image to the proper proportions and set the document size to 11 X 14 in your image editor.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 1:47 PM   #3

Sorry I guess that is some what important the printer will print in any other size you may want to without blemish, But in the paper size selection on easy photoprint size 11x14 never appears in the sizes to be selected so I can't select a size that isn't their. Under which tab in printer preferences is the image editor located I am unable to find it. I am also unaware as to what you mean by haveing the photo cropped to proper proportions. As you can probably tell this is all new to me. Thank you forany help you can offer. I have of course cropped any scenery out of the picture that I don't want in it. But I don think that is what you mean by cropped to size. right?
Old Dec 30, 2006, 3:31 PM   #4

Well, we learned a few things. You are using Easy Photo Print instead of the printer driver and not using an image editor. I never installed the program with my S9000 wide format printer and there are no choices larger than 8.5 X 11 for the version I did install for my last GP printer. I didn't install it at all for my new computer build and iP4300. It isn't a very good program. So I can't help you with finding the right size in that program.

As for cropping, regardless of whether you have a camera that takes photos in a 4:3 format or a 3:2, no prints are in the proper proportion for any standard sized print other than 4 X 6 for the 3:2 camera. You have to trim some off the sides or top and/or bottom to get the photo the same shape as the print you want.

This is a crop of a 4:3 image for a 14 X 11 print. The dark area on the right is what has to be cropped off to make a print that shape. If you are using a DSLR with a 3:2 format you would have to crop off a lot more from the end(s).

Of course it would need some work before I spent the ink and paper for an 11 X 14 print. And Easy Photo Print isn't the program I would even consider.

My suggestion is to get the free JPEGCrops if you don't have the ability to print 11 X 14 from Easy Photo Print: http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/ It is very easy to use and you can crop to any standard size and make your own custom sizes.

Then I would print from the freeware Irfanview: www.irfanview.com It has a very easy to use print dialog that shows you the finished print and allows you to set the printer driver through the "Printer Setup" box.

If you are spending the money for a first class printer and paying for Canon paper and ink, a decent image editor isn't a bad investment. I think this is the best deal going on a first class image editor you won't outgrow: http://cgi.ebay.com/Corel-Paint-Shop...QQcmdZViewItem It is the full legal program and can be registered with Corel. There are dozens of them on Ebay if you miss that one.

Attached Images

Old Dec 30, 2006, 3:49 PM   #5

Very educational thank you, I will take your advise and get the JPEGcrop and purchase the corel-paint shop pro photo XI
Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:06 PM   #6

There is a long learning curve associated with any good image editor. There are a lot of tutorials online for PSP and the help files are very good. It is worth the effort IMO if you want good prints.

Don't let yourself get frustrated with the program – it is easy to do. Use some of the automatic fixes and move up to doing your own stuff using tutorials.