Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 1, 2007, 1:27 PM   #1

This is my first attempt at manipulating indoor light. I aimed a halogen light across the right side of the frame. I'd love to hear your thoughts on my lighting, or anything else I could use to improve these types of photos. Thanks!

Matt

mattroth54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2007, 4:09 PM   #2

Matt I would have set a piece of white poster board or another reflective surface on the left side so you don't get the shadows on that side. The poster board would have reflected some of the light back into the left side.

Did you also use your on camera flash? The reason I ask you have pin lights right in the pupils. If you did I would turn it off I think you will have enough light without it. Also your white balance is slightly off. It looks a little yellow to me.

but, you have a great subject to photograph, he's got a beautiful smile.
Sneezy1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 7:25 PM   #3

The shot looks a litttle overexposed.

I would recommend the following:

1) move your subject another foot or two away from the background.

Move back your key light until you get a normal looking exposure. This could be several feet at least.

Use a reflector or even the flash on you camera as a "fill light".

Keep expermenting until you get a pleasing result.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 8:17 PM   #4

I did use the camera flash for fill in this shot. I think I will try the reflector idea next time around. Could the white balance issue be related to the halogen light being too close? Either way, this is looking like the straw that may convert me to shooting in raw and figuring out how to use CS2 for .nef files. All great recommendations, thanks for the help.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 2:29 AM   #5

mattroth54 sez: ...Could the white balance issue be related to the halogen light being too close? Either way, this is looking like the straw that may convert me to shooting in raw and figuring out how to use CS2 for .nef files.

Any time you mix different light sources (the halogen and your flash) you're going to have some white balance problems. To get the best results with mixtures of light you have to set a custom wb for the camera "on site."

I don't think that shooting RAW would've helped you out much -- accept for the white balance issue. There isn't anything in that pic that regular ol' editing tools with a JPEG file couldn't fix. By "regular ol' tools" I'm talking about levels, curves, hue/saturation, selection tools, etc., and executing them through adjustment layers w/layer masking. If you have CS2 anyway, there's no reason why you shouldn't get aquainted with RAW files. But, you'll realize a lot more benefit if you become more proficient at using adjustment layers, layer masking and selection techniques. Likely you'd have to employ these things on the converted image anyway if you had shot RAW.

Cute kid!

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 2:32 AM   #6

mattroth54 sez: ...Could the white balance issue be related to the halogen light being too close? Either way, this is looking like the straw that may convert me to shooting in raw and figuring out how to use CS2 for .nef files.

Any time you mix different light sources (the halogen and your flash) you're going to have some white balance problems. To get the best results with mixtures of light you have to set a custom wb for the camera "on site."

I don't think that shooting RAW would've helped you out much -- accept for the white balance issue. There isn't anything in that pic that regular ol' editing tools with a JPEG file couldn't fix. By "regular ol' tools" I'm talking about levels, curves, hue/saturation, selection tools, etc., and executing them through adjustment layers w/layer masking. If you have CS2 anyway, there's no reason why you shouldn't get aquainted with RAW files. But, you'll realize a lot more benefit if you become more proficient at using adjustment layers, layer masking and selection techniques. Likely you'd have to employ these things on the converted image anyway if you had shot RAW.

Cute kid!

Grant
Old Jan 2, 2007, 2:33 AM   #7

Cute kid!

Grant

Sorry for the doulbe post. Nothing appeared to happen the first time I sent it. :?

Second edit: YeeHaw! Let's go for four!! Something's screwed up, here! Edits aren't supposed to repost the entire message!

AND, that's not even the smiley that I chose!
Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:56 AM   #8

Here's my amature attempt applying some of your suggestions in CS2. This program is great!

Attached Images

Old Jan 5, 2007, 6:28 AM   #9

very clean, cler and sharp shot with nice neutral tones

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote