Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 7, 2007, 2:47 PM   #1

Just a short note to introduce myself, my name is Brian and I just picked up my first camera, a Canon A710IS. I am really jazzed about this new hobby and am really looking forward to learning how to snap a good photo. I tried to find a camera that will grow with me as I progress. I am getting married in 3 weeks and have two new nephews so I will have lots to shoot. This forum has been very informative and helped me choose the camera I purchased. Everybody seems very nice and eager to help us newbies. After reading Kalypso's post I dont think this is breaking any forum rules, if so, my apologies.

This flower is in my backyard and one of my first shots, any comments and critiques are welcome and encouraged. Tooke me half an hour to figure out how to shrink it small enough to fit in here!! Thanks for letting me join in the fun!!

After taking another look at this picture it really is kind of lousy!!
Attached Images

Brian C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2007, 5:31 PM   #2

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Dont be too down on yourself its not a lousy shot - everybody has to start somewhere. I saw your filename was "edited" i just wonder what you did? What software do you use? One of the first lessons i learnt from this forum was that PP (post processing) is not a bad thing but essential with digital photography. Not sure what software you have but learn a sharpening technique - you should almost certainly apply this to all shots you take (well most of them!).

So i have modded your image, hope you dont mind. Firstly I boosted the contrast a little to remove the attention from the leafy backdrop (ideally this should be blurred by cloising down the aperture). Also cloned out a couple of the dead heads of the flowers (you should do this by hand while composing and framing the shot). finally run the sharpen stage.

Looking forward to more shots.

DJ
Attached Images

DJ-Catboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 5:32 PM   #3

double post
DJ-Catboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 5:48 PM   #4

I actually didnt do anything but resize it to get it in here. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I will in the future be using PhotoShop, I need to read the book a little to try and get the hang of it.

I am going to post another flower I took and like a little better. The focus is a little more on the flower and not what is behind it. Its not the greatest subject but I am limited to the backyard today. I like what you did with this picture, I need as much practice with PhotoShop as I do with the camera!!
Attached Images

Brian C is offline   Reply With Quote