Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 7, 2007, 7:14 PM   #1

Help! I am trying to take indoor (flourescent lighting) of some wrestling and basketball events and need some help on how to set up the camera. I tried using the SCN mode but still get some blurry images. Any support wold be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks.

GridIronMom
GridIronMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2007, 9:56 AM   #2

You picked a tough shooting assignment for a P&S camera. You will need at the very least 1/250th of a second shutter speed and the iso as low as possible to keep noise levels down.

Unfortunately, you may have to up the iso as far as your camera goes to get that shutter speed up.

You will have to experiment with using either Av (aperture mode) or Tv (shutter speed mode). If you can get shutter speed up to 1/500th of a second you will get some good to excellent freeze shots. Anything slower will give you some blur which can give you a sense of action (speed).

Using the SCN mode for sports will work with good light but in your case won't do very well at all.

Experiment at other events and see what works. Shoot alot and also try burst mode shooting as well.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 10:24 AM   #3

vIZ --

Thanks very much for your helpful advice. I'll try it out this weekend and let you know how it works.

GIM
Old Jan 12, 2007, 4:08 PM   #4

Try to get close to the action so you let in as much light. Don't use zoom because the camera will shrink the aperture and let in less light.

Happy shooting!
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 2:38 PM   #5

Ah..no zoom. That would explain additional blurriness I found at the zoom settings -- when I was close the pictures were awesome. Will continue to experiment to find just the right settings...thanks again!

~elizabeth
Old Jan 18, 2007, 9:17 AM   #6

Hi -

Just wanted to follow up with you. Had an indoor event last night and used the AV setting, no flash, ISO set at 800 and used the multiple drive setting to capture some of the fast moments, set the camera to the Fluorescent light setting..worked like a champ. Pictures, by and large, were very clear and captured the moments I was looking for. I did stay relatively close to minimize the amount of zoom I needed. Thank you for your sage advice.