Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 9, 2007, 5:20 PM   #1

You can't always get in the best position to get a good shot. I was close enough here but had the battery go dead just as this hawk took off from a tree. I popped in another battery and barely had time to get this shot. Toward the sun, no time to tweak settings. The second photo was pp with the basic Panasonic software which doesn't have levels adj. and only basic auto adjustments. I figured you expert PP guys would like a challenge. Please let me know what you did to it. exif is available

Also: shooting tips would be appreciated - What settings would you have used?

Full size cropped only with no noise reduction.

NOTE: I deleted the poor enh versionI hadasI deleted it from my gallery. (1/13/07 edit)

Gene T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2007, 10:28 PM   #2

My man! I won't go over every detail of what I did, but give a general overview.

As far as your initial exposure goes, it looks remarkably good considering the shooting conditions.

I selected the bird by using Select>Selective Color, sampling the sky, and adjusting the Amount slider until I got a good, tight selection. Then I did Select>Inverse, which put the selection around the bird rather than on the sky. Did an adjustment layer with Levels on the bird until it looked reasonably good. Then I zoomed in to about 200% and used the Paintbrush tool to paint black over the areas on the wings that got blown out by the levels adjustment. That's the reason for using an adjustment layer. Then I jacked up the bird's color with the Hue/Saturation control. Next, I did a series of selections with the Magic Wand set to 5% on the areas of chromatic aberation (the purple-fringed outlines), and desaturated them with the Hue/Saturation control. Next, I cleaned up the artifacts left over around the front edges of the bird, and reselected the sky and boosted the saturation a bit. Lastly, I applied a bit more sharpening to the bird through High Pass sharpening.

I suppose I could have smoothed out the splotchy sky a bit with some Gaussian Blur, but hey.........

Grant
Attached Images

granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:08 AM   #3

That is remarkable Grant, thanks. Now I have 2 new problems, buy photoshop and learn how to use it.
Gene T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 12:37 AM   #4

Hey, Gene! (Decided not to go with Hi, Gene....Too many bad jokes.) You don't hafta pony up for Photoshop to do this stuff. Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop Elements are way cheaper and can do anything that I did, plus a whole lot more! Lots of books and online tutorials are available for Elements, and, I'm assuming, for PSP.

Whatever editor you get, make sure it supports layers and layer masking. These are extremely helpful tools.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 2:16 PM   #5

i had a quick go

i did this on my laptop so im not entirely sure about exposure

i cant stand purple fringing so i focused alot on taking that out

ken
Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote