Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:53 AM   #1

Hi,

I set up some hotlights to play around with. My 17 month old daughter wasn't cooperating (go figure) so I had our dog pose instead. How does the lighting look? I still ended updoing a bit of brightness/contrast pp. Anything I should change? Any other CC?

Original with no brightness/contrast adjustments

After adjustments

Thanks
afayec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:47 AM   #2

afayec,

Cute puppy you have there

I really likethis shot, inthe PP'd shot the colors look good. A couple of things that you might try next time: The eyes seem just a touch soft, Try making them the main focal point.

The crop in this shot works fine for me, but, maybe try either cropping out the legs or include the paws also.

keep posting:|

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:01 PM   #3

Really like the PP'd shoot but it looks like the focus might have fell on the leg chest area instead of the eyes. You might try lassoing the eyes and sharpening them or maybe even over sharpening them a little so they stand out.
Sneezy1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 2:22 PM   #4

Don't know if this looks any better...Hope you don't mind..!!

I have'nt touched the background...Just the Pup.
Attached Images

wrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 5:05 PM   #5

Here's my pass at it. Since the background has no discernable detail I worked the background and the dog seperately.
Attached Images

bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 9:58 PM   #6

I'd have to go with bill's edit of the shot. It looks far more realistic then the others. I think also that the crop works but the front of the paws would add to the shot if you can get them in next time around.

Ollie
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:53 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for your input and edits. I wish I would have gotten the paws :roll:. Her eyes didn't show up well in the shots with her paws. This is what I came up with after editing in photoshop.

afayec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:41 AM   #8

yeah I would say that your final outcome is a keeper. Would make a nice family framed shot on the mantle piece.

Ollie
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:09 AM   #9

I like your final photo except I think Wrams was right about the eyes. They still need a little brightening and sharpening, just a little, not so much that they look unnatural. An easy way to accomplish this is to use http://www.heliconfilter.com/pages/You can download a free copy that is not the full version. Use the retouch program on the tabs. You can selectively sharpen, brighten just the eyes in just seconds. I'm not affilated with them, I just use and love the program.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 5:20 PM   #10

the final edit is great.

its always a pain working with white and slight off white tints as theyshow up ugly artifacts when you start messing with sharpness and sometimes weird hues when messing with levels

i tihnk you have done well with this one. i like the comp of the shot and i think you have captured a great, expression i gues you would call it, on the dog. as mentioned by ollie, this would look great framed up. the depletion of the backing has definately helped the shot

nice one

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote