Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 14, 2007, 3:42 PM   #1

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

but looks a bit like a picture from the second world war.

How can the background be enhanced in for instance PS CS2?
Attached Images

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:20 PM   #2

There isn't a lot of detail back there to enhance. A couple of defogging steps on the selected background, curves, selective color and a tad of shadow/highlight and sharpening. Defogging is USM with a high radius and low amount. You end up with a lot of artifacts, but most of them are from enhancing the JPG compression artifacts. You wouldn't have that problem with the original.

Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 5:58 AM   #3

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Slipe!

Thanks a lot for Your help. When I am in a good mood I think I master some computer software but Photpshop is so deep that you almost drown. Can You recommend a book on CS2?

Thanks again

Torgny
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:07 AM   #4

Over the years I have bought a couple of books and never got through them.

I think you learn most things better with online tutorials. The first step is to find basic tutorials and learn the lingo. A book would be excellent for that if you have the patience. From there you can find very specific tutorials for whatever you want to do. I find the tutorials can devote a lot more space to a specific technique than a general book can.

If you have the discipline to work your way through a book this one is highly regarded: http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Digi.../dp/0321330625 Adobe's Classroom in a Book is also highly spoken of: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/032...405977-7098345

I think having a CD with standard projects like the Adobe book has would be a big help. The book or course approach has the advantage that there aren't big holes in your knowledge.

The single thing that improves my learning capabilities is a second monitor. You can have a tutorial or course on one screen and follow it on the other. Once you get a second monitor, relating a book to what you are doing onscreen seems like something out of time – you think of Abe Lincoln in his log cabin with a kerosene lamp.

You don't need much of a monitor for the second one. I have matching monitors, but it isn't necessary. You can have the tutorial or your Photoshop tools on just about any monitor you have laying around.

Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:27 AM   #5

Slipe!

Thanks. perhaps I´ll order one (or two) of those books.

Some photo guru (or perhaps a "casual shooter"?) said something like

Mind the highlights. You can always (?) get more detail in the darker areas

but I suppose there is a limit to that too

What do You think - is the background in the first picture ok the way it is?

Torgny
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:48 AM   #6

The comment you quoted was directed at clear shadow detail and not fog or haze. If it were my photo I would consider it a success in the original form and leave it alone. I gave the background a try only because you seemed to want it enhanced.

As the comment suggests, you can usually pull up some shadow detail but blown highlights are just gone. Shadow detail you pull up tends to have a lot of noise. That isn't usually a problem if you use a noise reduction plug-in and just apply it to the shadows.

I usually meter for the highlights and let the shadows fall where they may. I see nothing wrong with your metering – it works fine for the image you captured.

Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:07 AM   #7

slipe!

I am happy that You learned me the USM technique used. I am also happy that You showed it in practice

What would You recommend for this picture: Rainy Day Woman (tribute to Mister Bob Dylan)

Here I´m happy with the background as it is (of course I can give it a little portion of highlight in CS2)

but what about

sharpness of the hair
texture of the coat
and specially sharpness of the umbrella

If You have the time...

Torgny

Attached Images

Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:50 PM   #8

The background is perfect. I think I would want the hair and umbrella a little sharper. But that is personal preference and your eye is certainly as good as mine.

Because of the JPG artifacts in the umbrella I couldn't do much without it looking terrible. The umbrella looks poor before you do anything because of the artifacts. But you should be able to sharpen the original more if you want.

With just her and the umbrella selected I defogged to increase the contrast and did the slightest sharpening and curves. I wouldn't mess with the coat.

Attached Images

Old Jan 15, 2007, 3:03 PM   #9

Thanks a lot.

(How do you _select_ areas to defog?)

/T
Old Jan 15, 2007, 5:34 PM   #10

You can also buy DVD's on CS2 with video tutorials which i have myself and find that someone showing you is easier than reading...

Goodluck

Wrams
wrams is offline   Reply With Quote