Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 14, 2007, 4:54 PM   #1

As a newly minted SLR owner, I was hoping one of you experianced folks can tell me what I'm doing wrong here.

The attached picture was taken with a Nikon D80 with the 18-135mm lens in continuous shot mode. It was late afternoon on an overcast day, so the light was fading, but these pictures came out much darker than they should have.

What I can't figure out is the shadow on the outside edge of the photo, it guess it must be some sort of lens effect that I'm supposed to be doing something to compensate for. Nearly all of the photos came out this way.

It's no loss, as I went to the park specifically to learn how to use this camera, so I'm not concerned about the ruined pictures. I just want to know how to avoid this in the future.

I suspect the poor lighting had something to do with it, but it wasn't as dark as the photos make it appear.

Thanks for any help!

AegisSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2007, 5:44 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi AegisSailor and welcome to Steve's Forums!!!

What you are seeing here is an effect called Vignetting which where the amount of light getting through in the corner of the lenses is less than that in the middle, unfortunately this is something you have to live with on certain lenses. You won't notice it in most situations it is only when there is something of a constant colour, such as the sky.

As for the darkness of the shots they are probably about right, if the camera was on multipoint meeting it will have exposed for the sky and I think this is what happened. I have just checked the histogram on Paintshop Pro and it is pretty well in the middle so exposure as far as the camera is concerned is correct. When shooting anything with a bright background I would suggest a spot metering for the subject or dial in some exposure compensation so that the camera over exposes.

Hope this gives you a good staring point. Keep on posting and they guys here will be as much help as possible.

Happy shooting,

Mark

www.photographysmith.co.uk
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 6:11 PM   #3

Mark,

Thanks for the reply and the good information! I'm glad to have found this fourm and I'm happy to see it is populated with guys like you, who are willing to help.

Thanks again!

Roger
AegisSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 6:14 PM   #4
Super Moderator

You are welcome Roger, that's exactly what we are all here for. There some Pros, some of us who shoot to sell our work part time (like me), some who only do it for fun (I hope most of us do it for fun even if we are getting paid) but nearly all of us looking to improve and share what we know with others.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote