Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 16, 2007, 1:27 PM   #1

this is scary but when i bought my dslr. i told myself i would post here to get better.

never had a camera like this before so still not sure on what to do with my camera just yet LOL most of the time i just use it as a big P&S. but i am getting better , these 2 shot i actually set up the camera myself

be honest but be nice please no PP except for sharping and resize i wanted you to see what came out of the camera
Attached Images

julianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2007, 1:28 PM   #2

my son waiting for his dad to come home from work
Attached Images

Old Jan 16, 2007, 2:31 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Congratulations for making your first post.... hope it wasn't too scary!!

With the first one it is let down (sorry.... will try to be nice) by not being able to see the horses nose, also a very slight straighten of just under 1 deg to the right will help.

As for the 2nd I like this shot, I'm a fan of shots in front of windows and mirrors (don't know why but I do). To help out with balancing the exposure grab some large white card or a triangle reflector (which you can hold with one hand)to put some light onto the face. The only other thing (oops) is he looks like he needs to go to the toilet so either crop higher or get him to do something different with his hands.

All in all a couple of good pics to start with and you are right by posting here you will learn far faster than just looking at other peoples work. Sometimes you might hear things you don't want to (happens to all of us) but by taking in on board you should see great improvements.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Mark

www.photographysmith.co.uk
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 3:27 PM   #4

actually yes it was scary !!

i can handle criticism that how you learn and why i posted so i can learn

the hand on my son's photo well he can't reallymove them that's how he hold on. that window is 3 feet off the ground. he hangs on the ledge guess i should just crop it then. never really noticed that before thanks

LOL my kids don't pose i run after them and hope to get a shot

as for the horse i expected somebody to say something about the fence. maybe because i know the story behind the fence ( i put it there on purpose )

she is one of my friends horses .i WAS trying to get my horse but she was not cooperating. and moondust the horse in the photo. has been sick for a while ,looked so sad that she could not play with the others because she is in a paddock by herself . i took her photo and it's the best of the bunch for that day
Old Jan 16, 2007, 3:42 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Hope my reply was not too painful then.

I'm very good at missing important things when shooting people (sports shooting is my thing) such as Sunday when was doing a photo and didn't notice a really bad shadow across someones face...... we live and learn.

I think you will find that the criticism of most people will be constructive so you will be fine.

Mark

Old Jan 16, 2007, 4:03 PM   #6

no not painful at all

glad to know other people make mistake too.. by the way i always love your photos. i knew you mostly shoot sports but you did a really cool set with a family a while age i just loved them .

funny about the shadows my old camera never had shadows. but my new Pentax a always have problem with shadows but sometime they add to the shot too
Old Jan 16, 2007, 4:10 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Thank you, didn't know you would have seen any. I did enjoy the shoot with that family and they were very happy with the results which is the main thing. You have also probable noticed that I like trying different things, some work, some don't but hey it's fun, doesn't cost much and when it works I learn something.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 12:23 AM   #8

I like the horse shot. It's something different.. almost like the horse is shying away, or maybe trying to play hide and seek with you.
zackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 12:42 AM   #9

hi

its great to see you posting here. I have learnt so much on these forums and im sure you will too

Technically the first shot is very nice. very sharp where it mattters. nicely exposed and the tone is spot on. my only critique is the angle. Its a shame that the he horses mouth is hidden. maybe a higher angle to get the head details could have maybe created a better focus for the shot.

Shot 2 is very nice also. I like the tone to this shot. again nice and sharp where it matters. This shot is a lil on the over sharpened side, i think this is due to the pp then resizing. You have exposed this shot nicely considering the back lit situation.

Welldone on both

keep posting

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 3:20 PM   #10

zackattack wrote:
Quote:
I like the horse shot. It's something different.. almost like the horse is shying away, or maybe trying to play hide and seek with you.
thanks she just looks soo sad not being able to play with the others