Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 25, 2007, 12:13 AM   #1

I'm back, begging for help again... I love to have these little impromptu photo sessions with my cats. My little furry children love the attention.

Here's my pic, with some junk already cropped out. I could really use some suggestions for composing "after the fact", i.e. with Photoshop. Any and all other criticism welcomed, of course.

Thank you!

P.S. If you are wondering about the odd lighting, I had a 40w light bulb behind me, a window to the left, and another window plus the TV on just beyond the viewable background. It was a dim, cloudy day. I'm rather happy with the fact that I was able to obtain a reasonable sharp photo handheld with a shutter of 1/5 sec.
Attached Images

flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2007, 9:26 AM   #2

Looks as if you have a very compliant model and nice soft lighting in your photo. Maybe the secret to photographing cats (which don't take direction very well) is to have the camera handy and take lots of shots, throwing away the ones that don't fly, and cropping to advantage in the ones that might. The rules of thirds can be followed after the fact by your cropping. DIstracting background can be dealt with.

Looks like you are already on the way, and it's a fun pursuit. You can use dangly things in front of them with one hand and handle the camera with your other to make them curious and active and direct the gaze. Have fun and experiment and post more shots!
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 9:24 PM   #3

Right you are, JDar! Ihave well over a thousand cat pics; it reminds me of throwing mud against a wall and seeing what sticks.

I guess my main question regarding this particular phot is: shot I crop off his foot at the bottom of the frame, or leave it ?
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:20 PM   #4

I gave it a try in Elements and think cropping his foot out of the bottom of the picture is good. You could burn in the wicker chest at the back a little, too, as it's such a different texture and stands out. Treats for Calhoun!
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 12:04 AM   #5

Thank you so much for your input and advice, JDar. I can tell by your posts on Steve's that you are more capable and knowledgeable than I, and I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Calhoun is a *very* good boy, and he deserves every treat that he gets!

Attached Images