Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 3, 2007, 12:04 AM   #1

So here's my first headshot I'm posting
Attached Images

hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2007, 1:57 AM   #2

´╗┐Hello Hayden,

Overall this is a nice attempt. You have a lovely model to work with and if she is willing, you should get lots of practice.

Placing the hand in the frame was a bad decision for this shot. The white sleeve draws too much attention away from the eyes which should be the center of interest. You will find it is much easier and the results are more pleasing when you keep the hands away from the face when shooting close-ups.

Your key light appears to be too close to your subject. If you have modeling lights then use them to visualize what the end results will be. I don't know what your set-up or modifier sizes are so it is difficult to say what distance you need. Two times the size of the modifier is usually a good distance.

One set of catchlights in the eyes is all you need. If fill lights create catchlights then edit them out in post as I have in this edited example.

Timing is everything! Try to catch the end of a smile to eliminate as much of the gums as possible. Facial lines will be more pleasing as well. A higher camera angle would have been more pleasing. We want to see the neck, but the underside of the chin is rarely pleasing.

The contrast is a bit weak so a levels adjustment will do the trick.

Thanks for sharing!

Rodney Blair
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 4:55 PM   #3

Thanks, Rodney. You gave me a LOT to work on. Hopefully my next attempt will be even better. I really appreciate the critique and the tips. It will help me start to "know" that a shot will be good before I take it rather than taking a bunch and hoping for the best.
hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 6:45 AM   #4

Hi ,

I love the picture, eye is very arresting,smile is very genuine.Rodney seems to be a professional person. I read his comment which is very good and added to my knowladge, especially at the end of the smile.but frankly speaking hand did not bother me a bit till Rodney pointed out.I think his suggestion is more over powering.

whatever be it is .I still liked it.hope you would care to post more and Rodney too. It will be a learning for me

mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote