Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:03 PM   #1

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

I "shot this picture" in .jpg. Hard lightning conditions someone could argue. Well I like this picture. The problem is - you can see for yourself - blown out areas. (Not very surprising of course)

The picture as it is has no PP, not even highlighting. But i know it´s not enough. There simply isn´t enough data.

I want to learn how to deal with this in Photoshop (CS2 preferably). Can you help me?
Attached Images

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2007, 4:51 AM   #2

hi mate

if you want foreground pressence then unfortunately the backing is likely to blow out.

You could try a combination of fil flash to gain foreground pressence and higher shutter to balance backing but then its a game of trial and error

i would be inclined to use bracket exposure mode, maybe set @ 1stop intervals, and see where that leaves you

set the cam up on a tripod so they are taking identical shots and take one shot metering the foreround and then another metering the backing

using cs2 you can generate a hdr shoot using the useful data from both the foregroound and background shoots.

or you could just layer the 2 shots together and use a gradient mask to merge one into the other.

I quite like the shot with a bit of flarring in it. In this case i think the right amount actualy adds presence to the shot. In refernce to this shot you can try the shaodow and highlight feature in cs2 to try to gain back any highlight details. U can also balance the shadows to create a smaller range giving the illusion that the highligts arent really that blown.

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 12:49 PM   #3

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Hi Ken,

Great advice and PS tips. I´ll try bracketing and using layers, also work with the hdr technique.

Very deep software, Photoshop. Just paddling on the surface...

Thank you, mate

Torgny
Old Feb 7, 2007, 7:57 AM   #4

Hi,

how is this one????
Attached Images

mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 8:35 AM   #5

mcliu,

Thanks. It´s (the way I want it), or rather even better than I could imagine. How did you _do_ that?

Torgny

Old Feb 7, 2007, 8:59 AM   #6

I wouldn't change a thing, the first is cool and the second is awesome.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 10:05 AM   #7

i had a go with a technique i use but couldnt better the result, with such harsh brightness and dark its not possible to do better real

Gary

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 12:16 PM   #8

I like mcliu's effect in that particular image. And I agree that the flare in the original is fine for that photo.

This is a pure Photoshop tweak. I actually like the original better, but it does some of what you originally seemed to want.

Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 4:26 PM   #9

Hi,

Thank you all,

Ken,
mcliu,
pagerboy,
Gary,
Slipe

Torgny

(I have a couple of hundreds of pictures like this - I´ll work with them one day remembering your posts)

Old Feb 7, 2007, 4:46 PM   #10

Hi,

Thank you all,

Ken,
mcliu,
pagerboy,
Reanimator,
Gary,
Slipe

Torgny

(I have a couple of hundreds of pictures like this - I´ll work with them one day remembering your posts)