Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 19, 2007, 7:50 PM   #1

What am I doing wrong? Seems like my macros always appear grainy.....here are the settings used: Shutter Priority, Shutter 1/250, Aperture f/2.80, ISO 200. I used my Canon Macro 100mm. Critique and discuss away........oh yea.......I handheld on purpose because the goal is to learn to use this lens to take shots of flowers, butterflies etc...without having to take the tripod everywhere. :?

Attached Images

jeephotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:10 PM   #2

what iso options do you have on your camera?
xfxgeforced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 9:59 PM   #3

Low is 100 high can be set to 3200. The camera is a Canon 20D. I am thinking it has to do with the aperture, but not quite sure what I need to do.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:51 AM   #4

have you tried like an aperature of 8 and iso of 100? the higher the aperature the less noise, from my experience atleast, but you need nice lighting, like the sun.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:09 AM   #5

FWIW, I'm not seeing 'graininess' in this shot. What I see is very shallow depth-of-field, making most of the flower itself soft focus. The main focus seems to be at the base of the flower where it joins the stem. Maybe a higher ISO would allow sufficient shutter speed and still allow you to close down to f8 or so to get more DOF.

Greg
gregm1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 7:43 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice.....I will try this next time.

Greg, thanks for saying it doesn't appear to be grainy. I can't get used to the different DOF with a macro lens. I will keep trying..that's the fun of it.

:?
Old Feb 21, 2007, 8:37 PM   #7

A tripod or an external flash, (thanx NHL), will help with the dof. When you stop down to get greater dof, you have to use a slower shutter speed, or higher iso. Higher iso will produce more noise, so you need to use the lowest iso possible. That's where the tripod comes in. An external flash, or 2 flashes, will allow you to hand hold at slower shutter speeds too, but movement is still possible.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 8:49 PM   #8

jeephotog wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the advice.....I will try this next time.

Greg, thanks for saying it doesn't appear to be grainy. I can't get used to the different DOF with a macro lens. I will keep trying..that's the fun of it.

:?
why thank him for saying it doesnt look grainy? if it looks grainy to you, you want to fix that, not just convince yourself it's fine :sad:

good luck man! sorry if that was harsh.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:13 PM   #9

Hey.......you're not being harsh...I'm just doubting my ability to do something 'bout it....you're right.....it still looks grainy to me and the first chance I can get I am going to mess with that aperture. I think this may fix the issue.

You quit apologizing for being truthful :O

Ron, It seems when I used the external flash it blew things out sometimes...On this photo I was using the external flash along with available light from a window. Using a tripod will work when it is a controlled shot, but I am trying to get use to hand holding etc. so I can get those shots outside in the field that a tripod isn't going to be easy to use.

Again, thanks for the C&C......I am a sponge and am absorbing all this. Keep it coming.

Mandy

Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:06 PM   #10

A (very) rough rule of thumb for macro work:

Use an aperture at least 3 stops smaller than maximum (eg. use 5.6 if it's a 2.8 lens, 2.8 if it's a 1.4 lens)

Keep the iso no more than 2 'clicks' above the lowest possible.

If the resulting shutter speed requires a tripod (it probably will) welcome to the wonderful world of macro work!

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 5:24 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote