Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 2, 2007, 10:41 PM   #11

Debbie, that is a wonderful sjot and great selective coloring choice. Your model's cute as a button, too.

mcliu, that is a very nice job on the edit.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 4:45 PM   #12

thanks krn and flippedgazelle!

Debbie
gilbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 10:39 AM   #13

mcliu, i love what you did to my photo.i have tried to do the same in photoshop elements 4 but can't seen to get the same results. i am following your steps exactly but when it comes to the gaussian blur i can't see am image to blur and when i pick an arbitrary number i either can't tell a difference or it is too blurry. after you blurred the image did you go back and sharpen her eyes at all? and no matter what filter i use, yellow, any of the warming i can't seem to get the rich colors you have gotten. guess i just need a lot more practice, and a class!:idea:

i will just keep trying, if i get it i will post the photo.

thanks,

debbie
Old Mar 4, 2007, 6:38 PM   #14

This is a whole new world for me, I have never seen either of these tecniques...they are beautiful.Gilbill how did you do the spot color and mcliu, what software are you using? I have got to learn how to do both of these. Thanks.

FB Mom
futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 9:23 PM   #15

FB Mom, I use photoshop elements 4. First I make a duplicate copy of the photo in layers. Then I pick Hue/Saturation. Ajust that where I want. Then take a paintbrush and with black go over the areas I want to bring back the color. I bought a book that helped me learn how to do it The Digital Photographer's Guide to Photoshop Elements 4 by Barry Beckham.

Good luck, it is fun.

Debbie
Old Mar 4, 2007, 11:00 PM   #16

Hi gilbill,
last night I typed the whole procedure and my net is gone. Frustrating.So here I am again typeing the whole thing all over again.(Plz,excuse me if there is spelling or grammatical mistakes,b'coz my net is slowwwwww and erractic)
1st thing I do not have Photoshop element 4,So whatever I write here ,I am "hazarding the guess",assuming Photoshop element 4 has atleast these basic facility(So do the work on duplicate image,Keep "the Original safe", they are really good and you are not going to get the same effect again.)So I start from the image what you have posted here
1)Make a duplicate layer of the image(on the layer palette you see one layer over the top of BG)
2)Desaturate the duplicate layer ( Say it is"DL-1"),the whole thing become B/W.
3)Saturate it,using the "Hue slider"(try to get the colour tinge,make your own choice)then use the saturation and lightnes slider to deepen the colour
4)on History palatte ,Take a "snapshot"(looks like camera)
5)Take History brush and get the colour of the flower back
6)Marge or flatten the layer( You get your colour tinge BG)on the layer palatte you will see a single BG(locked)
Now to give the soft look to Baby
1)duplicate layer the resultent BG again(let say it is DL-2)
2)Now go to Gaussian blur and Blur the DL-2 till you see the "black and white blob"
3) Come to layer palatte,and change from "Normal mode to Screen mode"( you can have the artistic freedom here, you get the various effect as you change the mode in layer palette, believe me)
4)Image will look very bright , reduce the "Opacity" in layer palatte
5)Take another snapshot in History palatte,
6)Use history brush, in darken mode ,start with lower opacity,And paint over the eye ,eyebow and floer only
7) satisfied Merage or Flatten the layer
That is it,Mind you there are many place where you have an "artistic freedom".So what you may get may be better then mine So Post it

FBmom ,I have used "Photoshop CS2" for this image.It is very expensive( I can't afford it) thus I have taken the gilbill photo to my friend place and done the work there and posted it back to here.Quite a work ,But it is worth it.I just can't wait to put my own impression back.
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 8:37 AM   #17

mcliu, you are the best! I will try this when I get home from work, I'm so excited.

thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!

Debbie
Old Mar 5, 2007, 11:41 AM   #18

HI gilbill,
Any time.... just let me know whatever I have guessed about your photo element 4 is it somewhere near to that???
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:35 PM   #19

mcliu,

i tried to follow your steps but i got lost at number 3. i didn't understand saturating the picture after desaturating it in the second step. and i don't have a history pallett. i think i definatley need to take a class on using photoshop or find someone in boise that can teach me how to use it.

thank you so much for your time and effort spent typing all of those steps:-). i won't give up, i will keep trying.

debbie
Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:47 PM   #20

Hi gilbill ,I keep on watching this thread with an anticipation you must have come up with something.What I like about you is ,"your enthusiasm"(Which I am lacking to a great deal) to do better.( and I have great faith on you).Do not lose hope.I am also trying to find if some has Photoshop element

By the way," Desaturation" is done to lose all the colour information,"Saturation "

is done to give colour tinge like "sepia" tone or little blusih tinge etc......(This is basicaly done in case of colour photo where I wish to retain all the colour channels,but want my photo to have little color tinge)

Hope this would be some help to you