Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:54 AM   #1

Glen Lastiwka
GlenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:35 AM   #2

I keep on watching your this picture ,if there is 43 views are there ,you can bet 20 would be mine & the reason for this is:- you wrote HDR on the title which always make me wonder what is that..?? Do you mean "High Dynemic Range Photography".If it is so Plz explain.I have read it some where.But it is skiping my mind.So far I remember it is about 2 exposure then something ,something.....I am blank now fill me.I think you need some software for this also.
Help is apprecited
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:42 AM   #3

Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:45 AM   #4

Basically a HDR shot is one where instead of only one section of a shot being exposed properly and another section being under/overexposed so you can't see details within that area, all areas or at least a significant amount of area is exposed at the levels that give you the best detail and view of that part of the shot.

Take for example this shot. Chances are the sky wasn't as nice in one shot but the building was. So taking two shots, one for the sky and one for the building, and then combining the two you get properly exposed sky and building and not just one or the other. Also the foreground seems to be exposed nicely as well so this could be a third shot.

One handy hint to take into consideration is using RAW to shoot and underexposing your shot a step or two and then using that one RAW file to setup exposure levels for all areas of a scene. So you would say photography this building once, and then open the same file three times over with different RAW settings setup for each area of exposure, then simply layer them all in photoshop for eg and blend them accordingly.

Hope that explains it well enough.

Ollie
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 9:19 AM   #5

Thanks Ollie
Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:09 AM   #6

Ollie77 explained it well, it's just like stated except I use Photomatix Proto do the merge rather than PS because I have more control over tonal range and luminosity, Photomatix is geared only for this kind of work, but I still do the final tweak inCS2.

Glen Lastiwka
GlenL is offline   Reply With Quote