Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 6, 2007, 4:53 AM   #1
Azp

Hi all, just hoping to get some opinions and thoughts on these shots...whatI did right, whatI did wrong etc. Some photoshop tricks maybe? I dont have photo shop,...maybe you guys can make that lizard stand out a bit more, I like that guy.

Thanks in advance

Attached Images

Azp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2007, 1:14 PM   #2

I'm going to be honest here; I think the photo is a mess. It's nice that you show the surroundings that the bird is in, but the photo is wayyyyy too cluttered with foliage and bushes. Also, everything is in focus - the bird, the bush to the left, the trees behind the bird. As a result, I actually had trouble finding the bird. It also appears that parts of the bird are blown out; thus details in the bird's feathers are lost.

Some things you can do to improve this shot are to crop tightly to the bird. The excess in plants does not help the image, so it's better to remove it and place more emphasis on the bird. Personally, I would not place the bird dead center in the photo; I'd place it more to the left to give it a feeling of walking into the frame. If you had Photoshop, you might want to up the saturation and contrast to help the bird stand out.

I do like how you got the reflection of the bird in the water, but it's a shame that the lilly pads blocked part of it out.

Sorry if I was harsh. Hopefully this will help you improve your composure next time.
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 2:37 PM   #3
Azp

No need to apologise Illuminati, thats the kind of help i need. I got on a friends comp and cropped it having the bird up and to the left as you suggested and its better, theres nothing i could do about dof and the bird just doesnt have enoughdetail...oh well i'll get him next time.

Cheers
Attached Images

Azp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:08 PM   #4

Azp, the cropped version is leaps and bounds better than the original. you no longer have to work to find the subject. Excellent edit.
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 1:33 PM   #5

this shot is excellent. very clear and sharp and love the colours.

however its just crop and comp which has let it down. but its great to have megapixels on your side to be able to recompose and crop the shot

your 2nd crop is much much better. i tink this shot has lots of potential and finding the right crop will be important.

Some quick crops that spring to mind

cheers
ken
Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote