Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 12, 2007, 6:37 AM   #1

Any C&C would be gratefully received and taken on board!!!!
Attached Images

wrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2007, 7:01 AM   #2

Nice shot wrams but I think the waterfall is blow out a bit try burning the waterfall back in.

Neil......

Neil Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 7:05 AM   #3
Super Moderator

This is a good try however there are a few things you can try next time to make it better.

Due to the shape of this I would try portrait rather than landscape as the surrounding rocks don't add much to the water (if there is something more interesting in the foreground then look at bringing this into the shot and stick with landscape). Also being dead centre is not working here so would suggest finding a different angle so the fall comes into/across the shot more to give a better balance.

You have over exposed the water which is the focal point of the shot so be careful to get this right. RAW might help here if you are not sure you are going to nail it as you will have a better chance of being able to bring some detail back.

Edit - just noticed thatNeil posted while I was writing. I can't see any way that burning the waterfall will help as it is pure white so there is no information left.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 8:02 AM   #4

I really like moving water shots, no matter how many I see and do I still enjoy them. As for this shot, it's a very good shot but as mentioned already, the water itself is blown out. Was this shot taken in RAW or JPG? Mark already said that RAW would help here and he is right about that. RAW give you a lot more control of the final image.

You could try bringing down the brightness a bit and bringing the saturation up a bit to accentuate the greens.

The best thing is, doing it again and seeing what you can come up with next.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 8:19 AM   #5

Thanks Guys, I wish i could try diferent angles but i had to climb down some steep rocks with my tripod and camera and it was slippery, almost fell a couple of times...LOL

As for the blown out affect it was the first time i used a ND8 filter and i left the shutter open to long....I also think a ND4 would of been better..!!!

Mark i was excited at finding this waterfall so i did'nt really pay much attention at the more indepth settings...But next time i will...

Thanks again guys!!!
Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:08 AM   #6
Super Moderator

The grads will help reduce the light but not how the camera meters/you interpret that. You could also close the aperture more as well as you were only f10 so you could have stopped down for less exposure.

I think it highlights a point that all of us need to remember and that is taking our time when shooting. So often we (myself included) rush to get the shot we want but don't take nearly as much time as we would have done when using film. So the lesson for all of us is don't rush, check what we are doing and now we have the advantage of digital, review the shots and use histograms to confirm we have good exposure without blown highlights.

I'm sure you will nail this next time and don't kill yourself on the rocks LOL.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:24 AM   #7

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:

I'm sure you will nail this next time and don't kill yourself on the rocks LOL.
Hey Mark, Do you mean say for arguments sake i used f10 what would you use..???

Also i've made a Will leaving my Camera to you..!!!! LOL
Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:58 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Cool 2 x 30D's thanks!!!!

Well if you can get dark enough with F10 that is good otherwise the resolution that the lens can capture will go down, however you could stop down to F22I think at a max. As you were getting quite close with the settings you had an only just clipping the top then you only needed a slight change say F11 or F16 and see what you got. As you wont get the same conditions again then you will need to try it out but it is a juggling act of the slow shutter speed, good enough quality (not too closed down on the aperture) and exposure. Have a play and when you are on the histogram view it will show blown regions so you can adjust and shoot again.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:34 AM   #9

Thanks Mark, Always ready to help!!!
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:23 PM   #10

hi wram,
Already much has been said about exposure and vertical shot.Probable solution are also been discussed(I have an oppertunity to learn from it)Just wish to add that Quite recently I have read in "kodak photography work book
' where one photographer has discussed how he has achived the similar(or rather better , if you permit me to say so)result using his "dark sunglass" as he has no opportunity to take too many filters with him and ciumtances froces him to do something about it.Result was "mindblowing"As the saying goes,":Necessity is the mother of Invention"
So next trip wear the "dark sunglass"
I done some heavy photoshoped to revive, but too little avil still I post here for your comment
'
Attached Images

mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote