Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:05 PM   #1

I really want to start charging for my work but not sure if I am there yet? Any comments?

Attached Images

gilbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:06 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:07 PM   #3

Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:08 PM   #4

Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:10 PM   #5

Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:10 PM   #6

Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:56 PM   #7
Super Moderator

A good series however I'm not an expert on portraits so won't make any technical comments but will try to help with selling your work.

Firstly get a portfolio together so you can show potential clients.

Be sure you have the technique down so that you can get quality results each time.

Sort out the sizes of prints that will be available as well as mounting/framing options then put a price to them.

Have a spare set of everything (camera, lens, flash etc) so you can do the job if you have a problem during a job.

The worst thing to do is to charge for work and have some bad results as bad press is hard to get rid of, however if you have the above sorted then go for it.

For technical comment on these I would suggest posting in the people section as well as there are some clever people there who might not pick these up.

Hope all goes well.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 7:09 PM   #8

Thanks Mark! Hhmm another camera, yikes. I will show your post to my husband to support me asking to spend more money . Do you know how to move a post or should I just repost?

Old Mar 26, 2007, 7:15 PM   #9
Super Moderator

I would post again or put a new post with a link to this on in there so they can comment.

The 2nd body is not essential however personally I would not really want to do paid work at someones house or if they came to you and then the shoot was cut short due to equipment failure. Depending on what kit you use it might be worth borrowing someones camera (if they have same brand) when you have a shoot to do. This is assuming that you know someone with same brand and don't mind lending it to you. I'm fortunate that I know quite a few people who have Canon XT's so if I was ever doing something where I needed a backup I could easily borrow one. For me this has never been a need as I shoot sports and there is only payment made if people decide to order online after I have been to an event but I do intend later this year to get a backup as I now have all the lenses I want (well for quite a long time).
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 7:14 AM   #10

Gilbill....
You have some good pictures in this set...The only negitive comment I have is with
#2-4 shots...I think these 3 are cropped a bit to much...Some clients dont mind the shot cropped tight but for me, I would rather see all of the babys features...At least shoot it that way and then play with the crops...That way you will have the option...I do alot of family shoots outside and find babies and real young children are the hardest subjects to photograph...You pretty much have to get real lucky at times getting a great shot, but when you do and the mothers get tears in their eyes you know you did good...And like anything else, the more you shoot, the more you learn and find what works for you and your clients...
Here is a shot I got "lucky" with on the beach a few years ago...It's one of my favorites...

Attached Images

John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote