Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 28, 2007, 10:05 AM   #1

I've been trying to work on playing with the saturation of images. I go back and forth on what I like. One day an image looks great completely unsaturated, the next slightly saturated, the next day it may look good to me as shot. Your opinions on these would be appreciated. I've got some from all saturation ranges. These were all shot right about the same time. I don't mind you manipulating to show what you think would look beter.

hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2007, 12:45 AM   #2

I liked your B&W images.Frankly speaking when comes to images I react to it by the kind of emotion it create.This is the one of those images which have stirred me . Nice shots :|
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 2:58 AM   #3

I am new to digital photography, in fact, it has been a long time since I did any photography. But enough about me.... I feel that B&W photos should have some black and some white. To me, the top two photos have neither and look all a bit too grey. Not sure how you would change that, so I will leave you to play if you want!

Also the hand and foot photo has something distracting in the bottom right hand corner.

But I do like the way you are showing how small the wee bairn is against the adult, nice touch and well thought out.

dumfriesdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 11:19 AM   #4

Unless you are having a large print made is doesn't matter how you view the image or alter it as long as you follow the basic rule of never overwriting your original image.

I didn't do much more than click on auto-levels in Photoshop and they looked better to my eye. I did add a little noise reduction to a couple of them, but it didn't change the overall impression. They can be enhanced or modified to your taste, but I think most of the shots would benefit from some work in an image editor. It isn't worth doing much with images so small, but even the conversion to B&W can be more sophisticated if you look up some tutorials.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 10:26 AM   #5

Thanks, mcliu. They stir emotion for me as well. I think I'm a little partial though!

dumfriesdick, I like the first one soft. I agree on the second one though. The original had an all black background. I thought I'd soften it up in photoshop. Looking back, the towels bring the softness. The all black background looked better. Its attached at the end of this post.

slipe, thanks for your edits and comments. The middle picture you editied makes my hand look a bit green. Thats what I've been playing with lately. Not just taking photoshop's autos (contrast, saturation, etc). I've been using auto, but just as a starting place.

Old Mar 31, 2007, 1:35 PM   #6

Quote:
The middle picture you editied makes my hand look a bit green.
I was just showing you that you don't have to settle for a hazy flat image. Auto levels does sometimes throw the colors off though. Selective color is the control that will let you alter it almost any way you want. I seldom edit an image that I don't tweak a little with selective color.

Auto levels, selective color and defogging:

Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 6:11 PM   #7

Cool, slipe, thanks for the reply.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 6:34 PM   #8

a lovely range of shots

my only critique would be that the posterization is very distracting.

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote