Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 29, 2007, 1:44 PM   #1

What'da think? I learn best from your feedback. Please, give me your good, bad, and ugly.

mattroth54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2007, 4:59 PM   #2

I think this is a beautiful shot.

I might crop off a little on the right side, but other than that, great.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:08 PM   #3

ditto,Agreed with Hager
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:47 PM   #4

It's a nice shot, but it seems to me that you took the pic while he was looking at a different photographer. Looks like a nice place to shoot, but remember that you don't need to show every tree to show he is in the woods, on this one the background is pretty messy and distracting with the big tree stump and all the little trees, I would take most of the right side away. Good job with the exposure, now get him looking at you and a less busy BG.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:56 AM   #5

GoCubs wrote:
Quote:
It's a nice shot, but it seems to me that you took the pic while he was looking at a different photographer. Looks like a nice place to shoot, but remember that you don't need to show every tree to show he is in the woods, on this one the background is pretty messy and distracting with the big tree stump and all the little trees, I would take most of the right side away. Good job with the exposure, now get him looking at you and a less busy BG.
Thanks for the feedback from everyone, especially on the exposure. I've been putting forth an effort to improve the exposure on most of my shots. (tend to overexpose) Perhaps a tighter crop and more DOF control would go a long way here.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 11:45 PM   #6

Matt, I think you hit it right on the head with your last comment. I am not so sure he has to be looking at you,the candidness is nice. Great subject!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 10:41 AM   #7

Hi,

I think this is a great shot with only one problem. You have placed your subject on a third, looking into the frame, and the exposure is very nice. Looks like you have got the sharpness in your subject too. The only thing is that DOF. If you can blur the background by using a lower F stop then i think you will make a great shot even better. You can of course achieve this by post processing but the more you can work your glass the better...

I also personally would not crop anything off this shot i think the placement is perfect! Whoever mentioned the stump is right but sorting out the DOF will take care of that. However the same person said that your subject was looking at a different photographer... hmm and the problem with that is what exactly? It adds interest, almost a smirk on the childs face, what _is_ he looking at??

HTH,
DJ
DJ-Catboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 7:48 PM   #8

I like this photo a lot! I agree with wishes about more DOF, but hey, it's good anyway!

Hope you don't mind, I'm a big fan of cropping where it reduces clutter and emphasizes subject. Woodsy shots are often full of "noise" but see what you think about this... the big logs in front and the arching trunk thingy converge nicely (part of your nice composition!), I bring this to the fore by cropping lots. Plus, I added a little PP to pop the color a bit.
Attached Images

smartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 8:25 PM   #9

DJ-Catboy wrote:
Quote:
However the same person said that your subject was looking at a different photographer... hmm and the problem with that is what exactly? It adds interest, almost a smirk on the childs face, what _is_ he looking at??

HTH,
DJ
I guess that means me... Nothing wrong with it at all in some shots. In this one though, it does not look like a "candid" photoshoot. The boy is dressed up, holding flowers, hand in his pocket propped up on some fallen logs, obviously being posed and facing away from this camera. That's all I was trying to say, it looked like he was looking at another photographer. Can we see that shot? I bet it has a better background.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 8:06 PM   #10

Here's a different one from that day, focused onme vs. the semi-truck and tractor driving down the road behind me in the first picture. Usually I'm better at DOF control...I usually shoot in aperture priority. After I finished this shoot I noticed my camera had been accidently switched to shutter priority at 1/60. I was lucky to have as many as I did turn out decent. I'm still learning...CHECK SETTINGS BEFORE SHOOTING!