Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 1, 2007, 11:05 AM   #1

I am still playing around with my new D50 and trying to learn...
I loved this shot(other than background) as tried PShopping it a bit...

Did I do ok?
Am I on the right track?

How can I get rid of this background??? I have tried selecting, but am having trouble.

As always... Thanks!
Gary

Original:
And yes, he has two subtley different eye colors...LOL!!!
Attached Images

garjowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2007, 11:06 AM   #2

Photoshopped:
Attached Images

Old Apr 1, 2007, 4:02 PM   #3

Nice shot.

Getting rid of the background in post processing will be tough because of the hairs sticking up.

A shallower Depth of Field might have helped with the background. The EXIF data shows you shot this at f/4.2, and that the maximum aperature of the lens you used is f/4.14, so you couldn't have gotten a shallower depth of field with this lens.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 4:30 PM   #4

Thanks...

I really need to pay better attention when "playing"..
I have a habit of just pointing and shooting without much thought, and when I get a good shot something is wrong that could have been avoided... case in point, this shot.

I love the look on his face, and with the minor processing, I think it looks nice... too bad I didn't pay closer attention to the settings

Gary
Old Apr 2, 2007, 11:58 PM   #5

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Nice shot.

Getting rid of the background in post processing will be tough because of the hairs sticking up.

A shallower Depth of Field might have helped with the background. The EXIF data shows you shot this at f/4.2, and that the maximum aperature of the lens you used is f/4.14, so you couldn't have gotten a shallower depth of field with this lens.
I am new to photography and still learning the language. In what way would a shallower DoF help with the background?
Campbells3is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 1:34 AM   #6

A shallower depth of field (DoF) would cause the subject to sort of "pop" out... the background would be blurry (out of focus) compared to the subject and thereby less noticeable, less distraction.

There is definately a more technical explanation, but I think that is correct in "laymans" terms...LOL!!!
And I AM a layman in this field...LOL!!!

Gary

Example:
Attached Images

Old Apr 3, 2007, 2:18 AM   #7

not a bad shot, but you need to focus on the eyes, if you look you will see that they are not very sharp.
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 3:50 AM   #8
Super Moderator

One way you might have left to reduce dof is to use more zoom whilst positioning yourself further back, as I would assume that 38mm is not the max on that lens. Also if you frame tighter that will also reduce dof.

As for the focus on the eyes I would say it is OK just that you have not sharpened the photo in PP (post processing).

Give it a try and let us know how you get on.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 9:27 AM   #9

Gary, I think the background could be a bit more blurry, but at the same time it looks like his room, or in this case, his native habitat. It could be a little distracting, but his expression is so strong my eye was drawn to himimmediately. I would leave it as is. Exposure is spot on and it is just a very pleasant picture to look at.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 5:29 PM   #10

hi garry

i like this shot. tones are nice. but yes a shallowere dof would definaltey help this shot.

in this situation is u are using the kit lens, i would have wound the zoom out to 55m, (or watever ur max tele is) put cam into app priority, set fstop as low as possible and moved into my subject quite close until i had the framing right and the cam can still sustain a focus. Adjust iso to keep shutter speed at a pratcial level.

If you are looking to do this in pp, i did this real quick. Using feathering in selection tools you can be very fast. just draw a selection arounnd the outside of the subject. try to get close but dont be too fussy. then go into selection and feather selection. now on my full res shots i feather by 30-50 pixels. on this lo res example i feathered by 10pixels. This is relative to the res of the shot you are editing. then i just used the good old gaussian blurring. all done in about 60sec

ken
Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote